or Connect

Posts by polymnia

I would be surprised if any two classical music audiophiles would agree on the wisdom of buying any single audio equipment company. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but Apple is mass market, not niche market. Funny, 15 years ago it would be silly to suggest Apple was anything other than niche, but things change.
They paid 3 billion for a brand. Notice they are keeping the Beats branding intact. So the engineering is not what Apple was after. If it were, they would have bought a boutique audiophile firm and dropped its branding, relabeled product with apple branding and called it a day. And for all we know, they may still buy up high end audio firms and brand the acquired wares with Beats branding. He'll, Apple may already own patents that could immediately improve Beats product...
 I thought I was being careful in separating the physical network characteristics from the data rates being transmitted over it in my comets. When I say Cat6 network, I am referring the the physical installation being Cat6 rated. I don't see a good way to describe the speed of a physical network in any objective way. If signaling tech improves, which it has as long as we have built networks, the speed of that network will change without necessarily modifying anything in...
 That is your experience. And it in no way contradicts what I said. The Cat Rating just means the cable meets particular electrical specifications. The sending and receiving units have their own signaling technology that can help transmit at a higher data rate than the cabling rating might initially suggest. All that said, moving to higher grade cable is exactly what should be done if you are not getting the rated speed your hardware should be capable of. But sometimes you...
 If there ever is a Thunderbolt Switch, there will certainly be 10GbE adaptors built-in or available for Macs. These are already available as Thunderbolt Breakout Boxes, which is cost prohibitive and clunky for most applications now. But the next iteration of the tech will certainly be miniaturized. I expect we will see network adaptor dongle available in 10GbE sometime soon. At that time, the Cat6 network would be much more cost effective. I believe the Cat6 network will...
 You may have had other issues with your existing cabling. Certain miswirings will allow for slower mbps speeds. It is true that Cat5 cable is capable of supporting 1000mbps in certain circumstances. I have this in my own home network. When I first began wiring my home 10 years ago, Cat5 was the standard. As I have upgraded Macs and Switches, my connections have automatically taken advantage of Gigabit speed. I'm expecting that with my short cable runs it may be possible...
Agreement!I knew it was possible to find common ground on this matter.
Suit yourself, I'll be using photoshop in the meantime.
Then, my friend, you buy CC.If you know the software well enough to know the keystrokes you likely don't find it that 'terrible' and probably use it often. In which case you can probably afford a CC subscription. This being the case, you have to do business with Adobe. And their model is subscription now.Trust me, it's not that bad.
 Actually, my original reply to the article is where I suggested you should be using PS Elements. So I guess it's already personal. And I do feel smugness. The way people rail against CC you'd think there was no other product Adobe offered. Now there are new versions of stand-alone products. It doesn't matter to me that you don't care for Adobe software and have no use for it any more than it matters to you that I like Adobe software and use it to make my living...a pretty...