or Connect

Posts by polymnia

Hopefully we get a total rewrite, like Photos and iPhoto. Strip it down to the basics. Make music on a Mac fun again!
 Not a contentious observation either, here is the title of the article: Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot' I'm not the guy to interpret laws. All my comments are based on interpretations I have read about, or have been posed to me as hypothetical situations. My opinions express how I feel any laws should work. I make no warrantee, express or implied, of the legal underpinning of any of my opinions ;)
Aww, shucks To follow up on my original thoughts:A lot is made of freedom in the comments I read here. I am a big proponent of freedom.Here's the thing, we cannot expect our society to be successful if we all exercise unbridled freedom to behave any way we like. We owe it to our fellow citizen to enable THEIR freedoms to behave the way they see fit, within reason. Sometimes this means biting our tongue and tolerating different behaviors than we engage in personally.I feel...
Gotta admit I know nothing about RFRA.
 I'll take the bait. I live in Minneapolis and remember this well. I don't agree with the taxi drivers' position. If I'm carrying a product that is legal to possess and I am not intoxicated on the product they object to (the cabbies already have the right to refuse me service if I am too intoxicated). It is unreasonable for them to impose their religious idiosyncrasies onto me when I'm behaving well within what is considered acceptable public behavior and they are offering...
/begin sarcasm/I'll never forget the day I chose to be straight. It was a tough decision, but I did a lot of research and talked to all my closest friends and family before making the call. I'm sure everyone else remembers their choice as distinctly as I do mine./end sarcasm/One more disclaimer: SARCASM ABOVE!
You do realize I was listing examples of the kind of reactionary one-liners I don't use in my posts here, right? I feel the one liners get all the attention, while the more nuanced discussion is drowned out.
I support the rights of business owners, too. I am one, I freelance full-time. And I don't want anyone telling me who I MUST take on as customers. At the same time, I can't imagine turning away a customer for a non-business reason. I hold no beliefs that would cause me the conflict being discussed.Your comparison of the pizza joint and the wedding planner is interesting. A wedding planner would work more closely and be more involved with clients. Kind of like my freelance...
Hey, I enjoyed it I feel I'm pissing in the wind with my non-reactionary comments. I can't compete with one liner gems like 'Faux News' and 'Tim Cook the Bigot' in this kind of discussion. Glad someone took the time to read...
A couple generations ago some religions took a dim view of interracial marriage. For all I know, some fringe religions still do today. I think most modern Americans would agree that a 'no interracial couples' signs outside a restaraunt is NOT COOL.It's a slippery slope to permit discrimination based on religious belief to be expressed in the non-religious public space.Like you point out, both forcing uncomfortable interactions and manifesting bigotry are wrong. I feel it...