or Connect

Posts by airmanchairman

There's an App for that. See my Magic Packet entry in the thread above.
You guys obviously never heard of the Magic Packet used by Wake On LAN technology, which is built into most modern PC's. Rather than taking even the minuscule energy hit leaving your MacBook on while Apple TV is operational, you can let both devices go to sleep and wake up when you require them to.And yes, there's an app for that. Actually several, my favourite in the App Store being Scany The cool thing about MacBooks is that you don't require an Ethernet connection to...
Actually, their change of heart comes from the fact that SOFTWARE is their main business. Apple and Google, like Apple and Microsoft, are ORTHOGONAL rivals at best; by that is meant that while Apple is essentially a hardware vendor that uses its own software to enhance its saleability, Google and Microsoft are in the main software companies that profit from licensing or advertising deals off their software. Nexus, Google TV and Zune/X-box/Kinect reflect their efforts to...
I don't recall AT&T doing anything other than buying Unix System 5 Revision 4 (SVR4) which they promptly resold.And by the way, what you call AT&T is simply one of the "Baby Bells", the regional subdivisions into which the original monopoly AT&T was broken up into. It simply changed its name from SBC to Cingular to AT&T, and by no means represents the AT&T of technological history (Bell Labs) that you are referring to...
This is why at the outset, Steve Jobs tried in vain to keep application development for the iPhone Web-only. There was a massive outcry from developers for a native SDK, and now they've got their wish and we've got our native apps, we want it both ways. You can't really have native and portable apps at the same time, not without conforming to one standard, and HTML5 is the future in that respect.
Right on. People seem to forget that just prior to the App Store's disruptive pitch, online cross-platform mobile app vendors like Handango and PocketGear (which now owns the former) had just announced a rise in their cut of small developers' revenues to 55%; but what still amazes me was the fact that they charged the large games developers even more at around a whopping 70% cut! What's the rationale behind that? This profit-madness effectively drove the small developers...
I don't think so; Apple may desire affordably low prices, but Google's eventual aim is NO price at all, as their market strategy is focussed on commoditisation which allows them to push their advertising cash cow to everyone everywhere, which will be to the detriment of said publishers and developers and much to Google's prosperity. That would be the last resort of the desperate.
Absolutely; they are talking about extending their reach online to 90+ countries and expect to waltz away with no responsibilities and the right to further transactions with that market scot-free? Visualise for a moment the logistical extent of the back-office infrastructure that is involved in such a gigantic undertaking and its attendant cost, which can only rise with time. For my money, vendors who are involved in similar ventures like Amazon and Sony among others...
These losers called publishers are on the ropes already, admitting that their business model needs updating and especially needs access to the 140 million plus credit card accounts the iTunes Store can provide, accounts that have proven to have an excellent track record in purchases and which can give their subscription based model the badly-needed "shot in the arm".So they reckon they are just going to walk in and walk away with that many users' money, account and...
Right you are... it picked up and translated "a flock of birds" "lymph glands", "flatworms", "roundworms" and "lungs" to French easily enough, but got rather comical with longer phrases. While simple conversational ones like "when will I see you again" work, it tries to be too literal or gets the context wrong with "I would like that very much" (je voudrais que beaucoup), though it gets a bit better with "I would like it very much" (je l'aime beaucoup - not quite...