or Connect

Posts by airmanchairman

Servers don't browse, they serve pages; clients browse.So for what it's worth, these statistics refer to Web clients.As for Android being Linux-based (or is it Java?) so be it, count it in; only by the same token you would have to add iOS to all the flavours of Mac OS, in which case the chasm widens.Oh wait: as per August's figures, even the combined figures for Linux and Android still fall below iOS as a standalone platform."Do the math", as Americans say...
I never purport to speak for "people" or the "end user", regardless of what the perceived popular view of anything is. I always assess a thing on its merits, not on people's popular perception of it. Accordingly, when I see an unobtrusive advert header at the bottom or top of a desktop or mobile screen, my first inclination is not to get rid of it - I read it first, then decide what to do, whether to read further or dispose of it. This way I've actually found stuff I've...
It is just amazing how supposedly rational types fail to "get it" i.e. understand the game that's going on, studiously avoiding any solid and logical realities that are even posted in this very thread in favour of their hopes and biases. I admittedly have mine (go, Apple!) but will not willingly blind myself to economic realities, which strongly favour my preference in the short and medium-term, anyway. The long-term prospect is in the hands of the decision-makers and...
That is wayyyy too sweeping a generalisation to make from your personal experience. From mine, I would say quite the opposite - I find several things (including battery life, bluetooth control and sound quality, plus folders) working much better in iOS4. I do notice (and expected it) slower application start-up times, too imperceptible to trouble me (I also have a 3GS to compare with). I spent around 3 days using the upgraded 3G alone and to be honest, I'd be happy using...
The difference is that Apple has opened up its FaceTime protocol to the Open Source community, which means, pretty much like its major contribution to the WebKit browser engine, anyone can develop it and extend it in any direction freely so long as they document and make available the changes they have made to it. A world of difference to the still-proprietary Adobe Flash software
Ah! Good question, that... Think about it. On the iPod Touch, it would probably have links to the upcoming Game Centre (or whatever it's going to be called). So there would probably be an element of Social Networking about it, possibly allied to iChat, and there you have it... FaceTime as a visual, real-time, gaming FaceBook will sweep the floor with the youthful crowd and save their cellular minutes as well by using Wi-Fi / VoIP. My $0.02.
Agree. His departure probably fits in to a long-term Apple strategy to seed the 'Web with open, platform-independent technologies to nullify all the 'Web's proprietary content in the future. Watch out, Adobe et al...
Such malevolent naysayers never had it on their minds for one moment to present the cold technical facts, except where it suits their ill-hidden agendas. They are for the main paid shills of opposing corporate forces and rivals who would stoop to any base and unethical tactics to undermine their rivals. Companies whose philosophy is summed up by the maxim: "It is not enough that we succeed - others must fail". The Western corporate world is chock-full of these abominations...
Damn right you are, and there is absolutely no way that other rival handset vendors and networks will stand idly by and see this vaunted consumer feature unmatched by their offerings. Expect a number of "knock-off Nigel" handset vendors to either adopt FaceTime or come up with a common protocol of their own. I do hope they can stimulate competition by not just coming up with a "me too" implementation of the zero-configuration video calling feature as introduced with the...
That's the clever thing about the Android-padding "facts" pundits... they switch from "smartphone" to "OS platform" to "devices" so deftly and adroitly that you fail to notice (and counter) that mobile "OS platform" or "device" for Apple would certainly include the iPod Touch and the iPad, if not the MacBook Air and other notebooks (the latter two would come under "devices"). And this is one market statistic where Apple and NOT the competition have the much-vaunted...