or Connect

Posts by airmanchairman

No sir; I got video chat working quite nicely from my 3GS to my webcam-equipped Windows XP PC. I tried it with Wi-Fi on as well as with Wi-Fi turned off on the 3GS: the call establishes within 10 to 15 seconds, no problem.Very very slight latency, but the audio and video quality is good. Absence of FaceTime from 3GS (I'm holding out for a white iPhone 4) means I don't really have any other app to compare it to (can't get Fring working).Also need to test it phone-to-phone,...
I agree that the circumstantial evidence is beginning to accumulate. Strangely enough, the clincher for me is Motorola's sudden launching of a lawsuit against Apple in the last few days, a sure sign I believe that Cupertino is finally moving into Droid territory in a meaningful way, prompting what I see as a pre-emptive strike-back to protect their recently-revived fortunes.
Or at least Apps that would benefit from the screen size of HDTV sets - I suppose when app versions or updates developed to take advantage of the iPhone 4 retina display start to proliferate, things will get very interesting in combination with the upcoming AirPlay.Hold on to your hats!
In my humble estimation, this is a pre-emptive strike that all but confirms the fact that Apple's iPhone will definitely be making an appearance on the Verizon network in the USA, which is a declaration of escalated war on Android in general and Motorola+HTC in particular.Motorola clearly sees this as an Apple manoeuvre to cut Motorola and HTC off at source, which is an indication of hostile intent if there ever was one.If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go...
"Good morning, master Jones. I'm afraid I cannot give you access to your Dad's, ahem, protected photographs. Would you like me to open any other folder?"
If you cast your mind (and your eye) back to (the video of) Scott Forstall's first presentation of iOS (then known as iPhone OS) when the SDK was first introduced, you will notice (and he said so) that OS X and iOS share several layers in common, the only difference occurring at the top (UI) layer, viz Cocoa on the Macs and Cocoa Touch on the iOS devices.From bottom to top, the other layers are identical:CORE OS: Kernel, Memory, Processes, TCP/IP, Sockets etcCORE SERVICES...
Originally Posted by anantksundaram What a sad joke of an industry. In a few more years, these guys/gals will be all gone. Finished. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they became extinct, what with their unprogressive attitudes - always 2 or 3 steps behind the requirements of their market and users, all of whom they seem to regard as thieves and opportunists. Remember that Apple almost single-handedly had to drag the Record Labels and Movie Industry "kicking and...
Servers don't browse, they serve pages; clients browse.So for what it's worth, these statistics refer to Web clients.As for Android being Linux-based (or is it Java?) so be it, count it in; only by the same token you would have to add iOS to all the flavours of Mac OS, in which case the chasm widens.Oh wait: as per August's figures, even the combined figures for Linux and Android still fall below iOS as a standalone platform."Do the math", as Americans say...
I never purport to speak for "people" or the "end user", regardless of what the perceived popular view of anything is. I always assess a thing on its merits, not on people's popular perception of it. Accordingly, when I see an unobtrusive advert header at the bottom or top of a desktop or mobile screen, my first inclination is not to get rid of it - I read it first, then decide what to do, whether to read further or dispose of it. This way I've actually found stuff I've...
It is just amazing how supposedly rational types fail to "get it" i.e. understand the game that's going on, studiously avoiding any solid and logical realities that are even posted in this very thread in favour of their hopes and biases. I admittedly have mine (go, Apple!) but will not willingly blind myself to economic realities, which strongly favour my preference in the short and medium-term, anyway. The long-term prospect is in the hands of the decision-makers and...