or Connect

Posts by airmanchairman

I initially had problems with my Mac's Safari browser accessing my Bank sites via https, so I installed Chrome and used that for a while.   However with regular testing I found out that these problems have largely disappeared as Safari iterated; better still my bank now has very comprehensive mobile apps that allow almost instantaneous and secure access to any functions.                  
Quote: Originally Posted by KDarling  Right now, once you're done using the iOS-app-launched browser, you have to remember / find / relaunch the app that sent you to the web in the first place.   Yes, quite right, and that's what I find (slightly) inadequate about the whole experience - I would have thought that Chrome would incorporate a back-button using the same routine in reverse to send the user back to the calling Google app - but I quickly surmised that a...
Quote: Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers  i have chrome installed, but i don't want it to be my default browser... so this is rather annoying. It can't change your default browser system-wide.   It however does have the default setting of checking to see if Chrome is installed, and if it is, using that rather than Safari to open hyperlinks in GMail.   This setting It is easily toggled to off if one so desires, but I guess Google is betting on the majority of users...
  Wild! An Apple-head roaming free in the Google-plex!   I wonder how many meetings he'll attend where he'll be asked to "recuse himself" and leave due to his known affiliations.   Oh to be a fly on the Googleplex wall - I'd just tail MG around the place...
  Exactly. Not much of a Google "end run", when you consider that all 3rd party browsers on the iOS platform, Chrome included, are little more than "Safari with a 3rd party wrapper", by which I mean Apple's version of mobile WebKit is the underlying browser engine on all iOS devices anyway.   On the plus side, users of Google services now have a "native Google experience" of sorts on iOS devices, but only at the expense of losing the speedy Nitro JavaScript engine that is...
On the iOS platform?   Hah...
Originally Posted by majjo  if I end up buying an iPhone, it will be because of Google, and not Apple.   Good for you, good for Google, good for Apple...   To each his own... win-win-win all round, no?
"The move circumvents some Apple regulations, namely the inability of third-party developers to have their apps set as the default handlers for certain tasks throughout iOS"   This does not set default handlers for tasks throughout iOS, in that if you quit Gmail, your default web browser reverts to Safari; if you choose not to allow the app to choose Chrome, Safari remains default anyway...   In the case of those choosing Chrome within Gmail, they will merely be...
Just goes to show all those who think Apple is a malicious closed and proprietary monopolist that they can be open-minded about the choices their users want to be able to make, even with regard to a "frenemy" whose mobile OS is regarded as "a stolen product". For me, this presents the chance to evaluate the Google Mail/Video/Mapping/Browsing/Calendaring/Now eco-system and measure it against the clear MacDaddy of them all, iTunes/Safari/Maps/Notes/Contacts and Siri. Fun...
  One of the more amusing ironies generated by the above reality can be seen in bookshops and stationers all around the world, where rack upon rack of colourful PC enthusiast and professional magazines are on display, each and every one of them laid out, styled and published using Apple Macs, from glossy cover to glossy cover, and from little advert to large sales campaign.   Ditto for browsing the Web, watching TV/DVD or catching a movie at the cinema, where all the...