or Connect

Posts by airmanchairman

I for one appreciate a third, possibly more independent analysis of an app to help decide if it's worth downloading.   Developers are not generally renowned for descriptive powers of any degree, and have often been seen to trade glowing reviews for free copies of their work.   Surely a company with resources pretty much second to none on the planet can come up with a more balanced description than a lot of the tripe that I read now from excellent coders who sadly...
Precisely.   In the mindshare stakes, it's important to realise that developers and software houses are capitalists and not "Apple fanboys", as angry Android supporters seem to think when new apps are released first for the iOS platform.   So it's obviously the App Store downloads proportion coupled with the relatively low incidence of rampant piracy that continues to tip the scales decisively in Apple's favour. Key in the extra effort required to develop for the various...
  Apple Maps works fine for me in the UK, and I've tested it in London, Leeds, Bristol, and Newport in Wales where I just did an evaluation of Google Maps' walking directions as well, around the Celtic Manor resort, venue of the sensational Ryder Cup golf tournament of 2010 .   As usual, it's on the user interactivity front that Google Maps lags behind; after nagging me to 'Turn South!' (instead of simply 'Turn Left') a few times, GMaps started to recalculate an alternate...
Apple Maps works fine for me in the UK, and I've tested it in London, Leeds, Bristol, and Newport in Wales where I just did an evaluation of Google Maps' walking directions as well. As usual, it's on the user interactivity front that Google Maps lags behind; after nagging me to 'Turn South!' (instead of 'Turn Left') a few times, GMaps started to recalculate an alternate route without informing me, and sent me down a steep, twisty hillside road with no footpaths and plenty...
To the guy saying Apple Maps suck in the UK: Speak for yourself, mate. I live in one-horse-town Basingstoke, Hampshire and the Apple Maps' Satellite view of the area is absolutely brilliant, after a decidedly ropey roll-out. Turn-by-turn navigation worked a peach to completely defuse a really bad-tempered situation in Bristol recently, where the people expecting a friend of mine were too drunk, stoned or both to give us directions to their house ("uh, dude, don't you...
Way to go, DED! What's good for the gander is also good for the goose and vice versa. Some critics sure know how to dish it out but can't take it when the shoe's on the other foot. All in all, a warts-and-all objective first look at Google Maps for iOS, which may have come too late to significantly hinder the take-up of Apple maps, which has improved significantly since its debut into an impressive app. As you say, Win-Win for iOS users... looking forward to more...
CoCCorrect me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mirror Worlds simply a Patent Troll that bought the IP rights off the professor years ago "in the expectation of plenty"?
I'm always game for a free download from a well-known vendor, so down came the app onto my iDevices. Initial verdict is not as good as Apple Maps, in fact far from it. Turn-by-turn walking instructions I will give a try soon, and maybe download a few choice area maps. I'm really enjoying the Apple Maps app now as it is a far cry from what it was prior to the amendments and corrections, a lot of which were bundled into the iOS 6.01 firmware upgrade but not announced as...
I see nothing towards furthering the course of Justice in the perverse rulings coming from these Jurists, only a worrying sense of envy of or resentment at a litigant, sentiments they should clearly by their calling be far above and beyond. Whatever next, will we see a sudden spate of retirements from the bench and entries into the world of patent litigation private practice? I hope I am mistaken, but this appears to be getting quite sordid.
Storm in a teacup, and any nerd who highlights this as a reason for Scott Forstall's departure is a pseudo-literate idiot. Skeuomorphism is just about approaching the end of its run, that's all. It was magnificent in its time, especially with the new touch-screen-smartphone idiom plus App Store as coined by Apple in 2007/2008. It jogged the subconscious of the uninitiated non-nerd and coupled with gestures, helped her easily navigate the new technology and fit it into her...