or Connect

Posts by Aphelion

When Google buys Motorola Mobility any cash damage awards given to Apple as a result of this will come out of Google's pocket. This may end up costing Google more than 12 Billion. Just rewards I would say.
So huge it will eventually be the main interaction we will have with all the computers and gadgets in our lives. Think back to the befuddlement Scotty of Star Trek fame had when encountering a mouse as input device for the first time. Voice control and command is the way forward and in a few years time we will regard the mouse and GUI as the horse and buggy stage of computer development. Buying Apple products has always been like buying products from the Future today....
Bought an i7 on black Friday and couldn't be happier. I finally gave up on waiting for a xMac to replace my rather aging Digital Audio. I also bought a terabyte Time Capsule to back it up and a Firewire 800 two terabyte external two drive enclosure configured to RAID 0 as a scratch disk for Final Cut. No issues have been seen in about a week of use, blazing fast, huge screen, what's not to like? This refresh of the iMac finally put it where I wanted one and made me...
With the PA Semi acquisition and recently added talent, Apple stands to advance the state of the art for mobile internet devices. This advance will be limited to Apple products because no competitor will be able to match the R&D and expertise need to create similar SOCs. Any designs that this effort produces will be strongly protected by IP patents and not that easy to copy, even if massive mounts of money were available to create knock offs. Aphelion
I am in the process of upgrading the hard drives on both my C2D mini and my G4 Powerbook. The mini is driving my LCD HDTV and is the basis for my home entertainment system. To upgrade the hard drive I bought a Hitachi "Easy Drive" a USB drive enclosure with a 7200 rpm 200GB Hitachi SATA hard drive inside. I used OSX's disk utility to clone (a dmg image) the hard drive in the mini. To do this you must boot from an external drive because you can't clone the drive that you...
I'm doing a media server for my HDTV with a core2duo mini and a LaCie 500GB (Seagate Barracuda). I've replaced the mini's stock 80GB with a Hitachi 7200 rpm 200GB. Stacking the mini on top of the LaCie is like putting it on a hot plate. The heat from the LaCie seems to move right up into the mini. Putting a stack of four of these drives under a mini would seem to be asking for trouble down the road. As it is, I am adding some 6"x6" copper plates to the LaCie hard drive...
I'm not worried about Balmer, what can he do to the iPhone with the zPhony? This is not within their monopoly control. I just enjoy his transparent discomfort when prodded by interviewers about the iPhone. I doubt if he's laughing now.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo Now Nokia on the other hand...
This move by Apple is nothing less than a brilliant jujitsu on the mobile phone industry. The competition is left in disarray after focusing on the iPhone's perceived weakness, it's pricing. Product planners are already committed to cloning the iPhone feature set and touch interface. Their mistake was to base their next products on undercutting the original iPhone pricing by $100. Now to achieve that they have to reduce the selling price by $300. Few planned...
Well as the iPhone is future hardware I suppose this topic goes here, even if it is more software related. Perhaps it has been mentioned here already, but doesn't it seem obvious that the iPhone will use iChat to become the first popular, if not practical, video phone? At a minimum, it's "visual email" will allow clips of video messages to be sent as easily as texting, actually easier because no keyboarding will be needed! It's the killer feature they have been...
I FLY! Biggest news from MacWorld ~ Partnering with Google