or Connect

Posts by pats

I would suspect it is very similar in spec. What I find very interesting from an EE perspective is the battery life increase. Normally the performance increase would eat up most of the power improvements you gain from the die shrink from 90NM to 65NM. It appears to have the same size battery so that means tweaking the idle states of the chip which was one of the things PA SEMI did well with their PowerPC design. I am interested to see who actually put together the...
I think the 6 weeks means from last years launch of the Iphone 3G, which means the 3.0 software will be released sooner if they are already training on the features.
Did you miss out on the 500M investment Apple made with LG? You don't need that kind of upfront commitment to produce LCD panels which Apple can buy from about anyone. Apple paid 500M upfront to get first in line for OLED from LG. The only question is what size panels and in which devices do they put them in. June 8 we will know if they are going into this years Iphone/Itouch.
The most important advantages of OLEDs are: - High brightness together with strong contrast - Brightness: 100,000 cd/m² brightness at 30 lm/W - No viewing angle dependency: Viewing angle is 160° - Suitability for video - Wider temperature range - Full colour screens and flexible screens possible - Low weight - Compact, extremely slim constructions - low voltage -3 to 10 V As far as the screen resolution I think people are confusing the ability to play a file which is...
The LG contract was upfront money to guarantee future supply of unspecified displays. Could be for any product. Apple did a similar contract strategy for Flash memory.
I think the desktop/laptop lines will continue the existing Intel/Nvidia relationship, but all the other devices will move to Apple developed silicon. Once you have a good design, the more you make the more you can amortize the R&D against. Once the production line starts, to produce a few million extra chips is small change compared to the amount spent on R&D to get your first design.
Actually battery technology moves very slow. You can expect about a 4% improvement per year. Compared to a doubling every two years for Silicon ICs. In my mind the key is less the battery and more on the ICs and display that use the battery. My guess is if you compare a Iphone 3G running the current software to the next generation Iphone running the Iphone OS 3.0 software you will have noticeable speed and battery life improvements. It won't be just a few percent. ...
PA SEMI's expertise was performance per watt. From the beginning, P.A. focused on developing a family of products that is extensible and scalable. This required a lot of upfront investment and design time to ensure that their efforts would be reusable. They hope that by extensively reusing their IP, that they can tape out and productize their designs much more rapidly; the stated goal was a 3 month tape out, once the first core had been developed. This shorter development...
Two reasons for the PowerVR graphics Apple invested in a stock offering from Imagination buying 3.6% of the company which I think was a cash infusion to keep things rolling and Imagination announced that Apple was using their IP.Good question on the A9. The design was made available in Oct 07 and it is normally 2 years before it would appear in an end user device. Apple bought PA Semi in April 08 which would have given them about a year of design time assuming the...
I will be shocked if Apple is not using a Cortex based processor most likely an A8 with a Power VR graphics core. If they hope to compete with the PRE on power consumption/ Performance then they need the A8. The A8 design is available from Samsung if a PA Semi version is not already being built. http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ure_200902.pdf