or Connect

Posts by pats

Interesting take,but I would wait until they release an SDK before assuming that Apple is moving that direction. The use of the A4 means you can run IOS on the new ATV but then the cocoa touch layer of the UI needs to be rethought and architected for the TV. I agree that Apple will get there and chances of backward compatibility are good but I wouldn't be buying this just yet as a gaming machine. Depending how they implemented the Airplay, developers may be able to use...
Think it will depend on the bit rate. I use the H.264 encoder on handbrake with the ATV presets but if you have a choice the H.264 should be hardware accelerated in the new ATV since it's using the A4 so I would pick that since it is a better overall codec
The A4 video encoder is based on the VXD 370 and Apple will not need to worry about power consumption so if they limit to 720p it is to reduce file size of the stream.
So now we have Gartner predictions which IMO are actually not bad compared to NPD Second-quarter Mac sales in the US are said to have increased by 24 percent to reach 1.7 million units, outpacing the industry average, according to a report published by Gartner Research. Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles...#ixzz0ti47ECrp So a 100K unit increase changes the YOY growth from 8% to 24%. I'm getting confused. The numbers seem low compared to the NPD monthly...
So how did IDC due last qtr in their prediction? They predicted 1130K for 8.3% YOY growth. According to Apples actual earnings release. They sold 971K units in the Americas and 606K in retail for 1577. Lets say US makes up 90% of that 1419 vs a 1130 estimate for an error rate of about 25%. I guess I wouldn't pay for their research. Also what happened to the millions of iPads sold. Right they don't qualify because Apple is the only one selling tablets and making...
Here I will point you to Digitally Tuned CapacitorA digitally tuned capacitor is a type of chip-form variable capacitor patented by Peregrine Semiconductor in the form of DuNE™ technology using UltraCMOS™ process and HaRP™ design innovation.[1]. The DuNE digitally tunable capacitor (DTC) chip contains five capacitors switched by MOSFETs that operate from a serial input bus with a 5-bit code providing 32 possible capacitor values.The capacitor values can range from 0.5 to...
Have you gotten your $ 600 worth of bitching yet? As far as the antenna design you don't have a clue about Apple's RF design choices. Tell me why did the original cell phones use external antennas. Oh yes that's right to improve reception. And why did handset manufactures go with internal antennas, yes again to improve aesthetics. Apple has provided a design which meets both requirements performance and aesthetics but in the process may have overlooked the huge...
What BS analysis. OK if isuppli says the BOM is about 180 how does a return cost $300. Assume the redesign worst case uses all the existing parts except antenna. We have cost of shipping, chinese labor, and a new antenna part. The potential liability is people stop buying iPhones.
Is it is bad enough to take your phone back. This is a risk of high tech on day one. The problem could be a simple mistake on the production line or a software bug, or a design deficiency, the fact that it only occurs under certain conditions and is reproducible like changing the antenna wavelength by creating a short across the gap, means the engineers will have an easy time figuring out what is going on. The RSI #bars is pretty much meaningless and is an approximation...
The reason Apple probably isn't announcing processor speed is because they can tweak it with a firmware update and as Samsungs 45NM process improves you will get more chips capable of higher freq so by not telling they can make an adjustment down the road just like they never said how much DDR ram for the iPad, I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPads rolling off the line now contain 512MB and the older 256MB was from an earlier run in the manufacturing cycle.