or Connect

Posts by pats

Apple set the price and they can change the price as required. The price of NAND flash per GB will continue to decrease as new processes come on line. Intel/Micron just announce 25NM process which means that memory capacity will again double next year for about the same price so if you wait a year you can probably get 32, 64, 128 for the price of 16, 32, 64 the IPad will also probably have a new A5 processor and maybe even a camera with Ichat. The technology changes...
My bet was on the Qualcomm Gobi series because of all the speculation on Qualcomm and Verizon. The chipset is software programmable for EVDO and HSDPA and include AGPS but we will have to wait till April when IFixit has a teardown.
Actually when you build your own processor it is a lot of R&D money so yes. Apple paid 278M for PA Semi. The 150 extra engineers have been working on something since April 2008. IF we pay them 100K each on average we get another 15M per year in salary. Add in the ARM and Power VR IP licenses. For a few million more and we are already over 300M without selling a single IPAD. That's called risk and Apple has to mange the risk to make a profit. If Apple sell only one...
The OS does support multi-tasking. The only programs which can use multi-tasking are built by Apple. All other programs must quit. If you ever get a notification when you are playing a game guess what that is multi-tasking. The reason for using multi cores, is to reduce power consumption. When a core is unused you can shut it off and then if a process needs a core you turn it back on. The number of transistor for a given area continues to shrink with Moore's Law...
The Iphone/Ipod touch already contain a SOC with a CPU/GPU. It is ARM Cortex A8 and the Power VR 540 GPU. The new A4 probably is an ARM Cortex A9 with Power VR GPU I doubt Apple is using MALI when they get great performance from the PowerVR GPU and PowerVR supports OpenCL. The article is so full of factual errors, that it is obvious that they are guessing like everyone else. As far as seeing an A4 in the iphone/itouch. You can bet on it with the next version. The...
I think the point is the LTPS TFT does better in sunlight and the OLED looks better in shade. To get decent performance in sunlight the manufacture turns up the screen brightness but that reduces battery life. It is all a bunch of engineering trade-offs. I agree with Prince currently Apples LTPS TFT display is a better choice but the OLED is getting better with each generation. The battery savings from the use of OLED is lost because of having to turn up the brightness...
Actually unlimited choice is not necessarily good. Have you heard of the idea of the paradox of choice Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied. Video
Since most folks are stuck under a contract and the phone is only available via T-Mobile, I doubt it will sell in gangbusters. Apple will respond with a new phone in the summer and maybe by then the google phone will be available on Verizon. The launch on T-Mobile to me sounds like neither ATT or Verizon were interested in the device and so they couldn't get subsidized to compete against the Iphone and Droid. If they release the phone on Verizon in the summer it will...
Dude, I don't get your point about SMS and the web. How do you do both on Verizon. The whole multitasking issue is blown way out of proportion. Most Apps on the Iphone open rapidly and save state when shutdown so for the average end user there are only a couple use cases which really cry for a background demon. Social networking and Navigation are at the top of my list for Apple and Voice with Data for Verizon. As far as it being non-existant that is you buying the...
Apple has very little retail exposure in China. Apple wholesales Iphones to China Unicom which then retails. According to the China Business News China Unicom will pay Apple 10B CNY (USD $1,463B) for 5M units from Apple over 3 years. How many Iphones has Apple sold in China?