or Connect

Posts by joindup

Appleinsider - please please please PLEASE stop mixing multiple stories into one article. Looking for comments on the Amazon news inside all the chatter about The Queen is MADDENING! STOP IT!!! It makes the comments confused and pointless.
I wish Daniel would add a column to these tables: Number of handset models produced. Listing " 1 " next to Apple would really counterpoint the other data.
Is it really worth suing Amazon? That's a lot of free publicity they are going to get. Without it, their store might just wither on the vine of fragmentation.
The table below illustrates how the general principle of Apple's IAP Fees works, it's just set too high. The chart shows the relative costs and fees associated with selling a $10 magazine on the 3 different channels - iOS, Android and Web. The first chart shows the revenue with the Apple IAP fee at 30%, the second table shows the effect with it at 20%. It has Android fees set at 10% as per Google's recent announcement. I've made the following assumptions: [1] That...
Aren't we forgetting that magazines and newspapers do not receive the same level of visibility as books do via iBooks. They currently either publish their own app (like 'The Australian' newspaper or 'Wired') or they sit inside a virtual news shelf like the Zinio app. Wouldn't a magazine or newspaper publisher expect similar exposure in iOS that books receive - in return for a 30% cut? There are no "Mags" or "Newspapers" buttons in iTunes and there are no Apple created...
Aren't we forgetting that magazines and newspapers do not receive the same level of visibility as books do via iBooks. They currently either publish their own app (like The Australian newspaper) or they sit inside a virtual news shelf like the Zinio app. Wouldn't a magazine or newspaper publisher expect similar exposure in return for a 30% cut? There are no "Mags" or "News" buttons in iTunes and there are no Apple created iMags or iNews Apps. Shouldn't there be?
Hypothetical Situation: I create a free iOS App to read e-magazines sold on my website. 3 questions: QUESTION 1: Can I replace my "Buy on website" button with a big message, saying "Buy magazines from our website URL"? QUESTION 2: We decide to fall into line and introduce IAPs. If the economics of the sale of an issue of a magazine were this: Bought-on-website issue sells for $10. Costs are $2. We give 75% of margin to the author and publisher = $6. We...
This decision might have more to do with Microsoft and HP than Microsoft and Nokia. If you remember, the perceived wisdom (i.e. What worked for Apple) is that you have to control hardware software and store. Microsoft looked to HP to deliver the hardware partnership with the HP Slate - remember Steve Ballmer holding one up pre-iPad? What actually happened is that HP also had the same conclusion and decided to go with webOS instead. And now we see HP releasing the Pre3 and...
I forgot to add, I think Apple wants to encourage single title Apps, where a 'clean' 30% fee is deducted from the price of the App, not an IAP, as it is a straight swap for the costs of distributing the paper versions previously - hence why Apple are holding News Corps hand so much with the launch of The Daily. If every book, newspaper or mag was able to publish as an App easily, it makes it a straight fight between hardware and purchase UX - areas Apple thinks it can win.
There's actually a LOT at stake here. Firstly, there are three very different types of Apps. (a) Apps from businesses that have competing hardware (Amazon, B&N, Sony) and Apps that do not (Zinio, PixelMags) and Apps that are individual titles (The Daily, The Australian) etc. In the case of the first, it would not be unreasonable for Apple to expect the full 30% of In-App sales because they are competitors. If 30% wipes out the profit margin on an Amazon eBook, Amazon...