or Connect

Posts by dfergenson

Nearly the same thing happened to me on my 5S but the outcome was total different. I got this strange BSOD and had to do a factory wipe/restore. The process was automatic and took about an hour. I got all my apps back in their original folders, all of my photos except for those from the previous week and even my shopping list was restored from Notes on iCloud. It only cost me about $200 more than it would have to have gotten an S3 but I already went positive on the time...
Obviously they are trying to achieve synchronicity between the iCloud and off-line applications. It would be impractical to implement the floating inspector in iCloud and they decided, correctly, that the choice of a single interface was advantageous and that iCloud functionality trumped user interface optimization. I prefer the old user interface as well but as soon as iWork/Cloud collaborative editing was released I immediately implemented it at my company and it's...
I live in the United States but I spent a few months working in Basel, Switzerland. What I found was that with the smaller countries in Europe you spend a lot of time roaming and your data plan doesn't typically work when you do. My iPhone is wonderful in the US where I always have access to data. In Europe, I wouldn't consider it worth the money to spend more for a better phone since it's hamstrung by the service half the time.   Being able to use iMessage over...
This issue made me angry enough that I decided to do something about it. The president has convened a panel to make recommendations on patent law reform and I'm petitioning them to get a specific item added to their proposal. If we get enough signatures on this petition, it'll go live on the White House web site and then, if we get enough they'll make an official response. If we're lucky, it may become law. The idea is to let companies void out licensing agreements when...
While I'm sure that I couldn't do any better, I sincerely hope that Steve Balmer replaces himself in that reorganization as well. Like a lot of people, I occasionally have to use Microsoft products and really wish that they were better designed and engineered. Remember that, once upon a time, this was a very imaginative company with very compelling products including Mac Basic. Yes, they also engaged in questionable competitive practices but we are all the worse for how...
This seems ripe for anti-trust litigation. The only reason that the cable providers are able to prevent HBO from selling to me directly is their position as a monopoly. There is a historical precedent for this in POTS in the 1980s.
The good thing is that it is now on the record that Peter Misek believes that Apple will have less cash in 24 months than it does today. This is quantifiable and we can use it to evaluate the his predictive accuracy.
Am I the only person who likes the new Maps app? It fixes a few of my pet peeves including the fact that the old app's route highlighter blocked the traffic. I've found it to be accurate every time I've tried to use it and it's much faster on my 3G iPhone 4.
  It is one of the defining characteristics of the United States that we welcome foreign born people, not only legally but also personally, to be Americans.
At least for a business user (such as myself) the only metric that makes sense is dollar per dollar, rather than performance per dollar. If the extra performance returns more money than it costs, then it's worth spending (once considering the time value of the money).