or Connect

Posts by dfergenson

Dare I weigh in on this flame war?   I've never purchased a fully loaded computer before and I almost never buy the latest version of anything--I usually shoot for version X.2. But I did order the absolutely fully loaded MacBook Pro. It wasn't an addiction or because I'm bad at math. It was an utterly rational decision and this was my thought process:   1. I keep my computers a really long time. I'm typing this on a MacBook that I've been using for 5 years. If...
I do know something about this. Fuel cells produce essentially no particulate pollution whereas gas turbines do produce some (although gas turbines are far cleaner today than they were in the past). In terms of social costs, even though it is more efficient to locate gas turbine generators near their point of use, thus saving the electrical losses due to transportation and transformation, the location of pollution sources in populated areas negates this benefit. By not...
Is anyone reading this sufficiently "in-the-know" to post a reasonable primer on these nano-SIMS, the standardization process, the competing designs and what's really going on here? A link to an understandable article would do just as well. Thanks in advance.
The business model will be the least innovative aspect of the product. I guarantee that there will be innovative features that will seem completely obvious in retrospect. If I were designing the Apple TV, there would be: A camera on the TV. This one is a no-brainer. Facetime, social networking... but also, Wii/Kinect type gaming. Siri in the TV (and the TV is just the beginning). Content sharing between the TV and the other iOS devices including an iOS device...
As a security hole that can be exploited by private hackers, I'd find it scary but the ability of a government to search or eavesdrop is not new and is, in fact, codified into the U.S. constitution. Assuming that there is any truth to his claim whatsoever, then so long as you'd need a search warrant to legally intrude how is this different from any other point at which a phone can be tapped or a room bugged? It may make it easier, but then so did the tape recorder and the...
If anyone is interested in listening to an hourlong in-depth expose on patent trolling in all of its glory, here's a link: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack It's from an episode of This American Life which, for the uninitiated, used to be a radio literary magazine and has morphed into an investigative reporting news hour. The article is pitched to a general audience but is very interesting, even to those familiar with...
Somebody already tried something similar. The writer of this blog entry didn't realize that Haliburton was attempting to make a point rather than to defraud the American taxpayer:http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008...k-patents.html I don't know if the patent was accepted or not. I suspect strongly that it would have been rejected as being obvious to anyone skilled in the art. Still, their point is a valid one. There needs to be intellectual property law reform to...
I wish that it had the iPad's wireless data capabilities.
Everyone's been focusing on the lack of a useable Microsoft tablet and I agree wholeheartedly with the criticisms of those shown in the keynote but a third company seems to have an honest to gosh winner on its hands. Has anyone else heard about the enTourage eDGe? Any thoughts? It looks, at first glance, like a really compelling product. It runs Android, has a wonderful form factor and costs less than $500. It's even got two screens, one large digital ink screen for...
At the risk of being side tracked, that Al Gore quote is apocryphal. What really happened is addressed in detail here: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp