or Connect

Posts by esummers

Not sure what SDK, but UIKit/Cocoa are not under Chris Lattner... just the standard library.  I personally like UIKit/Cocoa, but it will be interesting to see if they evolve to take advantage of Swift.  Interface builder has never quite got it right, but I really like the new features IBInspectable and IBDesignable that allow you to extend Interface Builder and storyboards.  Now they just need to add IBInspectable support for non-views (controllers, etc.) and IBDesignable...
Wouldn't it be interesting if they DID replace Intel processors in the Mac Book Pro with ARM... I'm imagining like sixteen A10 ARM processors with 64 total cores for $400 to manufacture...
Some things you write in C are not clean because modern language features are missing.  Every C programmer has had to resort to ugly preprocessor hacks to make up for missing features.  Swift is a very nice language.  It catches *many* classes of bugs that are hard to catch any other way.  I was starting to write some backend code for a Cocoa app in Rust to avoid C/C++.  Now it is all in Swift.  I can see a lot of directions they may take the language (golang style...
The few people using it are asking for a lot of help maybe?
Touch ID is a camera in itself, so you would think it could be used for other input without hardware changes. Maybe swipe down on Touch ID to bring up notification center or something...
For $50, Hue may be a better option for most lamps.
Personally I think Eich apology should have been enough to keep him CEO.  He would have been a good CEO from a technical standpoint.  However there is a clear difference between Eich's donation and Cook's donation.  Cook is on the right side of history.  When you take the dogma out of the issue, equal rights is an american ideal not a liberal ideal.  Cook is clearly on the side of right.  Eich was supportive of equal rights in his company, just not in his church.  The...
As long as this agreement somehow allows me to get HBO Go without cable TV, then maybe I don't care. Personally I think local municipalities should provide internet service or at least run the fibre and lease it to ISPs. This market is naturally a monopoly. Having at least some local control is really the only thing you can do.
maestro64 - This isn't the first time. I'm sure other companies do this too, but it helps to have a lot of cash. It is great to see Apple is using their capital to push new areas forward. This seems to be lacking in much of the industry. Probably too much bottom feeding outside of Apple.
dgnr8 - It is more work for developers to support older platforms. Usually when a developer wants to support a new OS feature, they think seriously about dropping support for older platforms. If the OS is free, more people will upgrade and more people will buy from the Apple Store. That makes more money for Apple. Apple doesn't need to worry about pushing security updates out to older platforms or other legacy support issues that slows Microsoft's development pace. ...