or Connect

Posts by esummers

It is *the* fair trade organization for the textile industry. It was formed by Bill Clinton in 1999. More importantly it was the organization that was mis-quoted as having an anti-Apple stance in the New York Times article. They are primarily supported by universities in the USA. As with anything in academia, I'm sure there will be papers. Just look in to them.http://www.fairlabor.org/fla/
Component suppliers set up shop pretty quickly around the automakers in detroit, but not nearly as fast as they do in China. When major product revisions happen as quickly as they do in the electronics industry, it is a big risk to make changes that may disrupt that. One delayed project can cost a significant amount of money. I think that is a bigger issue then labor costs as things become more automated and more reliant on machinists to set up the equipment. Steve...
Everyone is rate limited. Otherwise only one person could use the cell tower at a time. They may just be limiting unlimited users disproportionately. AT&T could argue the 3 GB customers are paying for better quality of service. Hopefully this is just interim and AT&T will show us that they will provide us better service when they can provide us better service after the move to LTE.
I've thought something like this would be natural for iOS since shaders first came to the iPhone. Although full 3D might be interesting, they could get part of the way there with normal maps. A normal map shows the angle light reflects of a surface. They could be defined without redoing an existing interface. This would allow for dynamic gloss lines and beveled surfaces. Movable shadows could use layers. That would also be simple to incorporate in existing...
I've had a hard time understanding why a phone needs to pay royalties for wireless patents that apply at the chipset level. Wouldn't the chipset manufacturer have to be the sole payer in a reasonable world? If they wanted to take it to the extreme, they could probably have the wireless chip plug in through an expansion port so they can avoid the royalties.
"and used the company's accelerator in its 6th generation iPod nano later that same year." I didn't realize the iPod had an accelerator.... Grand Central Dispatch could be considered programmer-driven parallelism or kernel-driven parallelism. However, it has very little to do with compiler-driven parallelism. In fact, it isn't even compiled... it is linked via a shared library. At best, this looks like a small improvement to vector processing units. It doesn't look...
I don't understand why this gets the red breaking news color. Big companies move to iPhones and iPads all the time. Maybe a company moving 100,000 devices would be slightly newsworthy, but this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
There may be a little competition. It is more like a planet that only has BMWs and no other type of car. Then someone comes out with a KIA. I doubt it will have much short term effect on the iPad. Mainly because this is only going to appeal to Kindle users because of limited third party application support. This argument makes more sense when you are talking about Macs. Although with current prices it feels like buying a BMW for the price of a KIA.Eventually this may...
Apple could probably provide a lower end iPad that performs reasonably well sometime in the next year without usability sacrifices to add competition on the (previously nonexistent) low-end of the market. I think it may be more interesting if Apple creates a scaled up version of the iPod Touch to compete with the fire. No iPad apps, but would work fine for iBooks, movies and games. The retina display resolution on the iPod touch gives them a lot of leeway to create a...
I think it was meant to be funny. I've read a few books that take place in China. It seems that such things are often said with affection.