or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

Hundreds of people dead under  a building which collapsed Wednesday near Dhaka, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Building Collapse Toll Rises to 328 | Indiatimes   Excerpt:       Yet this tragedy could have been avoided. Bangladesh Arrests Two After 340 Killed in Building Collapse - Bloomberg   Excerpt:   (bold added)
While technologically we have developed tremendously, when it comes to mentalities we’re not that far removed from the hunters-gatherers, still preoccupied by power, violence, love, hate, greed, generosity, cruelty… I guess that when we cross the space between stellar system we’ll still be grappling with those.   If we could survey comparatively several planets with intelligent life we could measure the likelihood of a civilisation to self-destruct before reaching...
In Earth’s history, most times a technologically (mostly in the war department) advanced group encountered another one less well endowed, the results were catastrophic for the latter. I gather that any intelligent species we could encounter wouldn’t be morally better than us, therefore I hope that when first contact occurs, both sides will be of similar technological level and of roughly equal firepower.   I feel fortunate to have been alive to witness Sputnik, Gagarin,...
It looks to me more like “tourism” than “exploration”, the latter being actual hard and sometimes dangerous work (much of that work is likely to be done by robots). Although commercial exploration is definitely probable, once private enterprises are able to derive profit from mineral extraction and manufacturing in space.
  I think if you were a serial killer, you’d have known it long ago. Perhaps it’s some insidious “get married and have a family” conditioning which was dormant till now, result of biological drive and some family-centric culture thrown in. I hope the outcome will be positive.
The Mustang is absent from Europe as well, at least the Camaro is for sale there. And since Fiat’’s takeover of Chrysler, Chrysler-brand cars are sold on the Continent as Lancias (the 200 as Flavia, the 300 as Thema, etc.), Jeeps are not uncommon, while Dodge maintains a presence in the Middle East (notably the Durango SUV and the big Ram ute); to the best of my knowledge, Chrysler group’s products have reliability and build-quality issues.  Yes! That is one remarkable...
Since the 1950s, US car makers, then owning their domestic market, neglected the export market or rather, let their overseas subsidiaries handle the rest of the World (I believe it’s one of the main reasons why US-developed cars became less competitive after a while). You want Mustangs and Camaros? They don’t make them in right-hand-drive guise (although I guess some wealthy Aussies would individually import and convert a few, which is quite costly). That the Chevrolet...
He didn’t call life, liberty, or property “laws”.We cannot undo gravity as it’s due to the laws of physics which we cannot abolish, yet we can break and abolish the laws governing human affairs which are of our own making. So they are not the same.Sorry to appear to nitpick but one cannot call life a “right”, although one can refer to a “right to life”, etc. Also, since anything inalienable cannot be alienated (obviously), any right that can be alienated (even if it...
I adressed Spooner who, in the quoted text, talked about “laws”. You can see it in the text you quoted above.Isn’t that from La Loi circa 1850? Life exists independently of us, indeed it existed before humans appeared on this planet. We couldn’t make laws if we weren’t alive. Liberty is a notion we developed as part of our being a social intelligent life-form, probably at the same time we developed the notions of authority and law. Property is a practical invention we...
We humans might claim the right to abolish gravity or the laws of physics, yet we cannot. They exist independently of us and we have to abide by them whether we like it or not.Not so the the laws governing human affairs. We humans can break them and even abolish them if we so choose because we are the ones who make them.Which is why Spooner’s whole tirade is wrong.