or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

رَمَضَان كَريم ١٤٣٦ Ramadhan kareem 1436
UK parliament votes in favour of referendum on EU membership.UK lawmakers back Cameron's EU referendum plans but debate highlights risks | Reuters Excerpt:
Meanwhile, Turkish general elections don’t go that well for president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his AKP party, according to Turkey’s Hürriyet Daily News:As it happened: Turkey's ruling AKP loses majority in blow for ErdoğanExcerpt:
I don’t understand your reply. What has been shown to be correct and if so, how?
My reaction was to the declaration made here by some angry white men:I’d have the same reaction to a similar declaration whether made by angry black men, angry Jewish Ashkenazic men, or cheerful dark-skinned Jewish Mizrahi men (such as myself), offering the same offence to all. If you consider me racist we don’t have the same understanding of the word.I don’t see what this speech made by Theodore Roosevelt some hundred years ago about matters internal to the US (my not...
Not so much miscellaneous news right now, I see… Not much I can dissert about here, except on some matter about which I know a little and so could inform the innocent reader, although it could get somewhat tiresome, so one can leave now if one so feels like.Rant begins:That “List of Israeli dual-citizens holding sensitive positions in US government” stories which I keep seeing as they pop here and there on the good old internet. Trying to find some kind of half-usable...
In other news, the minuscule new republic of Liberland, on the Danube (about halfway between Kneževi Vinogradi, Croatia, and Sombor, Serbia, if you really want to know), is now actively seeking citizens.   We’ll see if it lasts longer than Libertalia…
Hundreds of people dead under  a building which collapsed Wednesday near Dhaka, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Building Collapse Toll Rises to 328 | Indiatimes   Excerpt:       Yet this tragedy could have been avoided. Bangladesh Arrests Two After 340 Killed in Building Collapse - Bloomberg   Excerpt:   (bold added)
While technologically we have developed tremendously, when it comes to mentalities we’re not that far removed from the hunters-gatherers, still preoccupied by power, violence, love, hate, greed, generosity, cruelty… I guess that when we cross the space between stellar system we’ll still be grappling with those.   If we could survey comparatively several planets with intelligent life we could measure the likelihood of a civilisation to self-destruct before reaching...
In Earth’s history, most times a technologically (mostly in the war department) advanced group encountered another one less well endowed, the results were catastrophic for the latter. I gather that any intelligent species we could encounter wouldn’t be morally better than us, therefore I hope that when first contact occurs, both sides will be of similar technological level and of roughly equal firepower.   I feel fortunate to have been alive to witness Sputnik, Gagarin,...