or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

Poor Mr. Ahmadinejad, his speech is not being translated word for word. All he said was, that the “régime occupying Jerusalem” (which is: the state of Israel) must “disappear” from the ”stage of time”. So, not only Israel's existence must be undone but it also should be erased from all memories as if it never had existed. All he did was express his wish to see Israel vanish (for that is what anti-Zionism is all about, not that there's anything wrong with it: I could...
I see what you mean. And whatever disagreements we may have do understand I don't wish to offend.But then, Israel having lost French support, without allies, would see time as working against it, and would have crushed all enemies it can, rather than wait for them to regain power. A lone Israel would have been a loose cannon, endangering the oil producing countries, particularly those pro-Western conservative monarchies.That is very unliekly, since F D Roosevelt up to the...
So let's see: the US summons Israel to stop short of complete victory, because the US cared about Israel's survival? Not quite. Because the US actually believed Soviet threats.Precisely, they were technical advisors, not Soviet troops directly inrtervening in the war, and while some Soviet military did participate (I mentioned earlier Egyptian jets flown by Soviet pilots) this was denied by Moscow at the time.Still? Do you mean presently?In this case, US help to Israel...
Let's see your own linked source:I emphasised the “after Israel's victory in its War of Independence” part. So, according to a source you could read, Israel fought its war of independence and won, with no contribution from the US government. Which is widely known and undisputed fact.You could try a public library, they might have something about widely known facts of the 1948 war, such as Israel raising funds from rich Jews in the US and Canada to buy arms, on the black...
They must be very reliable then. So what's stopping you?
Israel was about to tear Egypt and Syria apart in 1967 and would have probably done so hadn't the US demand and obtain it stopped. So yes, we would have prevailed on our own.What do you mean by “without the US”? Do you mean an isolationist US? Had the Soviets dared intevene, the US would have sent its own troops against them (and igniting WWIII) not for the sake of Israel, but because it would simply not have tolerated any direct Soviet intervention in the region. Which is...
Isn't it “Esther” these days? Or do you have any reliable information about the US government funding a country at war (under US arms embargo) in 1948?No, I don't consider it.
The Soviet threatened they'd intervene, [edit: and the US stated it wouldn't tolerate direct Soviet intervention in the Middle-East], and some Americans probably believed the Soviet threat. To believe the Soviets would have risked starting World War III for the sake of Egypt and Syria, that's as preposterous as to imagine the US starting WWIII to save South Vietnam. The USSR may have been many horrible things, mindless insane idiots they were not. [Edit: although they were...
Those funds were provided by private individuals. I assume you know the difference between private individuals and the government.
I don't see why you think “the western world simply won't allow” it. No country came to Israel's defence in 1948, and most observers at the time expected the Arab countries to win that war. And that was only three years after 1945, while Stalin was busy purging Soviet Jews (including famous ones such as the poet Mikhoels). So, my expectations from the western world are even lower than yours. Of course, Israel does have US help now, but notice that such help rarely goes to...