or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

I was not referring to a particular suggestion, rather to the general idea of the US waging war on Iran. As for “bombing them and arming their enemies”, that would require an actual armed conflict with enemies likely to defeat the Iranian armed forces with the assistance of US bombing (perhaps following the example of that short Libyan internal conflict), since such enemies aren’t available, that option isn’t either for the time being.It’s not that certain Iran actually...
Iran’s offensive capabilities are quite limited, at most it could conquer the small Gulf fiefdoms if those weren’t under US military protection (if I recall correctly, CENTCOM is based in Qatar). However, while I haven’t been following it all that closely, the US military is stretched quite thin as it is, and Iran’s size and difficult terrain would require a substantial amount of personnel to invade and conquer. So, if the US wants a military intervention in Iran, it’d...
This looks like one of those ‘WTF’ threads we have downstairs. It reminds of a certain fragment of a speech:Garbage…
You are just saying what you believe to be the truth (which is a disputed matter to say the least).No, it’s what you want to say. _ I was glad to learn the Steve Jobs had studied calligraphy and that it motivated him to bring multiple fonts to the first Mac, as I love calligraphy and practice it a little.
What Steve Jobs created had and has great impact upon my life, and I guess for many others here as well. To me this is the saddest day of this year. Thank you Steve Jobs and so long.
It reminds me of some display aliens used in a science fiction flick from the 90s, I forgot which one.
Well, it can certainly make itself heard and more than it used to be, but not all that loud.
2002 Quicksilver PowerMacintosh G4 800 Dual; Jaguar to Tiger. Only one repair in its lifetime (hardware), still in excellent condition. Still works relatively fast with the mid-noughties software installed, does have trouble with some video loads (notably streamed files). I’m very fond of it and still use it sometimes.
Please forgive me the belated reply.When Islam first reached that part of South East Asia it was more tolerant and enlightened than in later centuries, Islam’s expansion there was also peaceful and gradual, unlike say, in Egypt or Iran. It could be why it is more flexible.With the development of modern technologies, several influences began having serious impact, notably Islamic “hard-lining” as in more women wearing religious (often Middle-Eastern inspired) garb and the...
That always puzzled me, as countries with much older Muslim traditions (Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Iran) one can be non-Muslim and still be considered Egyptian or Moroccan, in theory at least (let’s just say the situation has become more difficult in recent decades).Indonesia’s Muslim majority is overwhelming, unlike Malaysia’s, and yet it’s more pluralist. Islam in Indonesia is also known to be “softer” (in a sense resembling Middle Eastern Islam of Medieaeval times), one...