or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

The Sixites were a million laughs, I enjoyed them a lot. We also had some propserity and rising living standards (well, in the developed world we had, not sure how much of it was “Twist”-related); I fondly remember my Jag E-Type… But not for long, I got married, and then moved to some dirt-poor Anarcho-Syndicalist community (and I actually enjoyed that too). But “Twist”, not for me. More like the Blues, and that is probably pertinent even more for our days than back in...
Thank you BR, I’ll search these documents.
Now that I think of it, I remember that in the Canaanite pantheon it was ’Anat who was the goddess of war, among other things. Perhaps there’s more recent scholarship updating it, I’ll have to look for it…
While I don’t wish to derail this thread, I think I have to point out some details.“Allah” is not a name, it’s the Arabic word for “God” (like “Dios”, “Alaha”, “Theos” (θεός) “Gott”, “Dio”, “Dieu”, etc.). In the Middle East, Christians (of all denominations), Muslims, and Jews, have been using the word “Allah” to refer to God for many centuries, and they generally agree (one of the few things they actually agree about) it is the same deity. In recent years though, I began...
China is the World’s quasi-exclusive exporter of rare earths. But the Chinese government intends to favour domestic rather than global demand, as reported by the PRC government’s mouthpiece:Xinhua | China not intent to maintain role of major rare earth supplier: top producer Excerpt:That means less rare earths available to various industrial countries, with the obvious resulting high prices.Rare earth prices to stay high as China extends crackdown | ReutersThere’s research...
I remember that, particularly the arrest and trial for corruption and sodomy of UMNO former heir-apparent Anwar Ibrahim (I was, in a very small measure, involved in the international campaign for the release of his Pakistani speechwriter Dr Munawar A Anees). Then Malaysia reportedly recovered relatively (to some other countries) well from the Asian crisis, the government claiming it was due to its dirigiste policies (pegging the ringgit’s exchange rate to the US dollar,...
Just for the sake of clarity, did you mean by “the presence of” as “the maker of”? Because one can be present at an event without causing it. Or is it something else altogether? As for writing “the State” with a capital S, it’s the first time I see it in English. It is however the norm in French (« l’État »), but then France does have a state-centrist tradition at least since Cardinal Richelieu. Just for the sake of an unnecessary anecdote, back in the 80s I had a...
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, that is one of the main problem of developing countries, even emerging ones. While individually one may attain wealth and high standards of living, the public space itself is plagued by high inequalities, crime, poverty, corruption, and lack of civil rights. No material wealth or economic opportunity are enough to fill that void, that requires political change.Some of my relatives in Singapore used to live in Malaysia, they left after the...
Originally Posted by jazzguruThat would be HSBC Holdings plc, with its HQ in London, its a subsidiary of HSBC. The bank itself is the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd, and is based in Hong Kong. For years it was called Hongkong Bank.
The initiator of economic reforms Deng Xiao Ping supposedly said (I didn’t find the exact source) “to get rich is glorious”, and many in China have espoused this phrase. The skyrocketing development of China in recent decades made many Chinese rich and many foreign rich got involved and richer. And today I found this piece:MSNBC*|*Top of Chinese wealthy’s wish list? To leave China China’s wealthiest are investing more abroad, as a way to get away Excerpt:Many reasons are...