or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

Given that this thread is titled “What The Fuck?: The Sequel” I think the following qualifies: Registering The Poor To Vote Is Un-American
Bloomberg | China Faces Dwindling Labor Supply Excerpt:Some entrepreneurs already felt the pinch, moving to other golden lands of opportunity and adventure, like Laos or Vietnam.Not to mention these countries and territories not being totalitarian dictatorships and whatnot.
Very interesting.And I won’t be surprised if Tripoli’s next government also employs said firms for similar services, in exchange for the profits they are reportedly in pursuit of. It is my opinion that these companies and similar entities don’t care about actual politics, although they do tend to favour dictatorships (even regimes not quite open to the idea of property as Henry Ford’s dealings with Stalin showed) as those are quite conductive to bigger and easier profit.
I thought war was hell, but here’s a worthy competition:Los Angeles Times: Seoul's intellectual pressure cooker “Welcome to hyper-competitive Exam Village, where 20,000 people study around the clock for law school entrance tests, civil service exams and other trials.” Here’s a telling excerpt:That reminds me of the Gold Rush, where the real money was in selling gold prospecting tools to the prospective prospectors.Given the stress these people endure it wouldn’t hurt. It...
Some messages of this thread remind of a conversation I had with a Catholic scholar many years ago. While discussing about the history of relation between science and religion (and more or less agreeing there is no scientific proof of the existence of God), my scholarly friend told me something like: “It has taken us very long time until we discovered the existence of radio waves (in the late XIXth century), perhaps we just haven’t discovered God, yet.” My reply...
As part of an exchange about the UK riot, a friend of mine told me about this recent academic research by some European university professors. Although I tend to be suspicious of all sorts of publications including those by university professors (particularly on matters of society and economics), I do have a weak spot for tables, graphs, and various lists of figures. It’s twenty-seven pages long, so it’ll keep me occupied for some time. So I thought some of you might find...
While reading about these recent sad events, I noticed this small detail:Remember when books were worthy of burning? | The Economist Excerpt:I think this Savonarola analogy is misplaced, the Bonfire of the Vanities was more of an auto-da-fé than an actual riot, but nevermind.Note to self: for the lawless violent rioters, books, unlike Plasma screen HDTVs or Apple gear, are not all that sought after. I think small details like this are worth exploring if one is interested...
Thank you for your message MJ1970. You wrote:What we saw in Somalia was the collapse of the Siad Barre’s dictatorial republic in 1991, followed by a short chaotic violent interregnum, itself followed by warrying armed factions, of which the transisional government is recognised by the UN and most countries as the only legitimate one. The northern region of Somaliland organised itself as a form of representative democratic republic. I don’t claim to predict what would...
If you ask me, living in Somalia sucks, and have been so for a long time. From the above BBC link:(Not that it’s posted on the BBC so it must be true, but perhaps they have one or two things right) It seems Somaliland is actually a state of some form, a republic having experienced “democratic elections” and “peaceful transfer of power” no less. So unless I missed something, it does have a functioning if unrecognised government. Here’s a map from the linked article: It...
In Iran, not so long ago, president Mahmud Ahmadinejad and supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei used to be on the same side, that is: the side of conservative clericalism. But in recent times relations between Ahmadinejad and Khamenei have soured. Khamenei has reinstated Moslehi, minister of intelligence, whom Ahmadinejad had sacked. While the president is supposed to be subordinate to the spiritual leader, Ahmadinejad claimed that appointing and dismissing ministers is...