or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

[quote]Originally posted by zMench: You’ve picked up on much of what I was trying to point out, but one thing you got wrong: I’m afraid that’s not the case: http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/12/17/tolkien_brin/index1.html “Let's not ignore but instead openly acknowledge the underlying racism and belief in aristocracy that J.R.R. Tolkien wove into the books,...
Not having read the book in question, and assuming that the article makes an accurate description of both the book, its chracters, and the author. I'll set aside the very interesting exploration of the themes of modernists vs. anti-modernists and humansits vs. anti-humanists controversies and their impact on recent culture and history. It seems like that Sauron character is indeed a fundamentally unsavoury fellow, yet the author does have his own misgivings about his...
[quote]Originally posted by der Kopf: ÉCÅemÉnÇ¡pyéËÇ·tópÃ*òîw…
I guess this isn't Flemish. So I might be missing the appropriate keyboard setting, unless it's a particular writing system the forum software doesn't accept. Care to tell what it's supposed to be?
[Answer to a question from another thread] I added a few Hebrew words to my signature basically to see if the forum software accepts it, which it does. If you cannot see it using Jaguar (the first version of X with Hebrew support), it means you don't have Hebrew support installed. Check you flag menu to see if Hebrew appears in the list. If you want to insert a non-Roman text, just select the desired keyboard, and type your text. Further examples: תודה רבה السلام...
Some of my best friends use PCs, better make that most of my best friends use PCs. As far as they know, ‘Windows’ is the computer, unless ‘Office’ is. The very idea to try anything else, and unknown at that, is terrfying for them. And then there's the price. Many of said friends don't use big-name PCs (Dell, HP, Compaq), but rather a machine from some local oufit with a name like “Big Bob's garage, PCs, and tattoos”. And Apple could never be price-competitive wirh these,...
Sorry. I don't do that anymore. I've quit the spell-biz long ago.
I found myself watching these on recently, I found them rather lousy yet entertaining for some reason. Mission: Kashmir 2000 Director: Vidhu Vinod Chopra Wants to be a tear-jerking current-affairs war drama, ends up being a subcontinetal mountainous western. Nice landscapes, though. The Other 1999 Director: Yusuf Shahin A wannabe modern-day Romeo&Juliet political manifesto. Cheesy, expectable, which makes it somewhat humourous. Europa 1990 Director: Lars von Trier It...
These tests failed, twice. The first one seemed to be images of the countryside so I wrote “country”, the answers were “cow cows”. Undaunted, I tried another, and there seemed to be small girls in most pictures with the rest looking quite “gilrish” too, so I wrote “girls”, the answer was “witches”. But these weren't witches, girls dressed as witches, at most. These test are utter failures.
While I have certain issues with the Aqua interface, its colourful nature isn't one of them. Perhaps blandness and grayness are equated by some with “professionalism” and “seriousness”, or perhaps some favour it for reflecting the colours (or lack thereof) of their suits or of their skies. It's a matter of difference in taste, and the OS does come with the “graphite” option. As for those who insist on obliterating all traces of colour there probably is a downloadable hack...
[quote]Originally posted by G4Dude: This is also another blow for Ford in that they are even further destroying Jaguar's image by using the S-Type platform for the Mustang.
Well, the smaller Jaguar X-Type is already a IInd generation Ford Mondeo under the skin. That's the way the industry is headed on a world-wide scale. Observe the new Opel Vectra/Saab 9-3/next Chevy Malibu and perhaps a future Buick; or the Nissan March/next Renault...