or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

[quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce: In Die Another Day, product placement is fairly prominent. We see a new Phillips poster in an abandonded subway station, plugs for Aston Martin ("Aston Martin calls [the car] the Vanquish, we call in the Vanish"), close-ups of a Sony-Ericson phone, and undoubtedly other advertisements. There's nothing really to detract from though. This movie is pretty average fare even for a Bond...
[quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc: His name is Mickael Lonsdale, he is a very good actor. Perhaps we know him more in France. He played in a lot of moovie and he has a delicious accent (at leas in French) he has played with Sean Connery in the film of JJ Anaud The name of the Rose (from a book of Umberto Eco).
His English accent is OK as well, while I remember him mostly form “Stavisky” and “Monsieur Klein”, his role of the abbott...
[quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel: Another thing I like about Bond films are the locations. In the older Bond films, there is some fabulous footage of interesting places in Europe and Asia, and I think it adds a lot.
I'm more familiar with the earlier Bond films (I lost track of them after the mid-70s), and they contributed much to my desire to travel. As for product placement, that's an old story, and not an always very...
While I found several BMW models of recent years to be quite pleasant aesthetically, the latest 7-series, the new Z4, and the upcoming 5-series seem to have been contaminated by the dis-harmonious design which has been plaguing several other car makers: see that odious Pontiac “crossover” vehicle whose name I forgot, that hideous smallish Cadillac (which has that angular box look of any normal car at the very end of its career), the ever-ugly Ford Focus, various Japanese...
The Macintosh concept itself is a design classic, but so are many Mac models. A very subjectively personal list. The original 128K Mac of course. The Mac II for breaking out of the all-in-one mold. The Bondi iMac for re-inventing the all-in-one concept (an exercise several PC makers attempted in the early 90s with very forgettable results), and dumping the floppy disk. The Blue & White G3 despite many shortcoming (limited expandability etc…), a thoroughly practical and...
I'm rather curious to see what real spacecrafts will look like (beyond our current crop of primitive satellite or probe carriers), but today it looks to me even less likely that I'll live long enough for that, than it did a few decades ago.
I certainly prefer the simple shape of the real plane to the cluttered appearance of the movie starship with its exposed plumbing, which has been looking outdated the day it appeared. Yes, even the F-4 Phantom (or when I come to think of, the A-4 Skyhawk) looked more future-like back in the seventies.
That a school forbids clothing bearing a commercial name seems a bit unreasonable to me, despite my having a deep dislike for the sheer vulgarity of wearing advertisements. But a public school engaging in advertising activities such as a “Coca-Cola rally” is far beyond unreasonable. It's the first time I hear of such things happening outside of bad science-fiction stories. Wearing a “Pepsi” shirt was certainly a lame retort. Now, a more direct “Coca-Cola sux!” shirt would...
[quote]Originally posted by ZO: Now, someone please tell WHY the hell I can't use Textedit to write in Arabic nor Hebrew?
Sounds mysterious to me, given that I can write Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish, as well as Persian, in TextEdit on Jaguar. There's one warning though: given that MacOS X handles bi-directionals differently than MacOS 9, some older fonts won't display proplerly, if you stick with the fonts provided with Jaguar, I think you...
Back in the early 1990s, NeXT used to be a hardware company making 68k boxes running NeXTStep. Then it became a software company and ported NeXTStep to x86, but also to Sun's Sparc, HP's PA-RISC, Digital's Alpha (remember these?), not to mention having OpenStep which ran over other people's OSes (including Windows NT). NeXT was really good at this being-a-software-company thing, not that it was putting them on the road to prosperity, luckily for them, there was a...