or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

Ah yes, “the Wall”, have you seen it? I did. Most of it is barb-wire fence, and only a small segment is walled.To be annexed it would need a law from the Knesset to that effect. No such thing.People are exporopriated everywhere to make way for freeways and other construction projects, if the expropriation is not done accroding to due process then it is illegal, can you show it is most usually so?The land belonged to the Ottoman Empire, then to the British-mandated...
Spoken like a true hardline Israeli rightwinger, and just as much lacking in substance.Since you have not demonstrated that as a general rule, settlements were built on land which was not lawfully paid for, your statement doens't stand.I'm more into what ”is” or ”was” than into what ”would be”.I live in a world where international law is of no help where and when in counts, and therefore I have no trust in it, let alone faith. MY experience is based mostly on objective and...
Or so you say.Are you talking about Europeans, who after causing two world wars are too exhausted to fight each other and so are now peaceful by default?Not according to the UN:Do countries surrender their sovereignty at the UN?: “The members of the UN are sovereign nations, and the UN Charter is one of the strongest safeguards of sovereignty, enshrining that principle as one of its central pillars. At the same time, most of the problems the world faces today are of such...
Yes, when and where it suits them (and not when it doesn't).As said previously: to be effective, any law should always have the ability to use force, even if it doesn't have to use it in the end. International law hasn't.The UN doesn't take away sovereignity from states, it doesn't have sovereignity over states.Two examples: the unileateral withdrawal from Lebanon, the evacuation of the Gaza settlers.I responded to your “statemement of fact” earlier.And those who cannot...
Presicsely. When actual sovereign states decide to implement treaties, conventions, and customs which form international law, that is: when it suits those states.. But there's no sovereign authority above nations the way the state is asovereign authority above citizens, which is why international law (law between nations) is not equivalent to the law within states.It was the doing of sovereign states, with the international law as rubber stamp (it's not like Mr.Clinton...
Thank you. I'll do my best to like you too.
Are there many other countries which should be on that list?No, because it is ineffective, since it is not derived from any real sovereign authority.Nations follow their national security and national interest first, and international law distant third and only when it doesn't get in the way of the two formers. It's called Realpolitik. Since it's territory under Israel control (albeit temporary) the court that counts is that of the guy with the big club.In France they have...
Because it's kind of like… You need more info, and shit. At its beginning, the settlment movement was againt Israeli policy, and the army was sent to dislodge them (as in the Sebastia incident of 1974). During the first Rabin cabinet (1975-77), Shimon Peres supported the settlers as a way of undermining Rabin. Only after the 1977 elections, won by the Likud, was there government support for the settlers' movement. Most of the settlers are not political anyway which...
We've already seen there were some irregularities, some of which were followed by lawsuits, you are yet to establish that as a general rule, settlements are on stolen land.As I said: On buying a house and moving being a crime?Is Zimbabwe under sanctions? Since there was no negation by either Swedes nor Norwegians of the other's right to exist nor an aggressive intent to destroy the other. Pray to Wotan or whatever deity or none-deity that it won't happen to you.Buying...
So any Israeli individual buying a house in the West Bank and moving there is the same as him being “transferred” or “deported”? I don't see it that way.On buying a house and moving being a crime?While there probably were some administrative irregularities, if you want to claim that Jewish settlements are, as a general rule, built on stolen land, you should back it up with something more substantial than “I know”.Convenient for me, how so? I was opposed to the settlement...