or Connect

Posts by Immanuel Goldstein

Do you mean that any Israeli individual buying a house in the West Bank is in violation of the Geneva Convention? Please, kindly show me where:Geneva ConventionIf you claim land-theft the burden of proof is on you (as far as I know the lands in question were either government-owned or legally bought).No I don't, that doesn't mean they should be under less scrutiny than Israel.I care more about facts than perceptions, thank you.What I care is this sad state of affairs where...
I don't know anything about these polls you talk of, how were their questions asked, what was their methodology, and I couldn't care any less if you brought me a poll showing most people in the world believe the highest mountain in the world is Mont Impossiblé. Starting a war is not atrocious in itself. So compare liberal democracies which never start wars to other countries which never start wars, and liberal democracies which do start wars with other countries which do...
Eating, sleeping, working, and generally gpoing about their business, nothing illegal about that, unless you'd consider illegal for Jews to live in certain places. As for the length of occupation, it depends on the length of conflcit. Israel occupied Sinai until Egypt agreed to a peace treaty, the Palestinians don't want a peace treaty, their government wants the destruction of Israel, it comes with coinsequences attached.No, it is under arrest. When attacked by a hostile...
I don't “make them out to be more peaceful”, they are less atrocious than the alternatives.The horrors committed by the Khmer-Rouges were their responsibility alone.Dismantle the police in a country and see if people build trust in the system or have any willingness to abide by the law. The system is only trusted when it has teeth.Most countries respect international law when it suits and noty when it doens't in this troubled world, some countries are under a mignifying...
Most of which happened within conflicts in which they were involved. Liberal demcoracies are not adherents to Ghandian non-violence not should they, some of their actions are mistaken and reprehensible, they are made by humans not angels.I stopped caring when I saw the the Khmer-Rouges being given free rein by the very same international law (not that I expected much of it before but even my low expectations were disappointed).To have an actually functioning international...
That's not claiming that all alternatives are "authoritarian". That is showing that some are always tempted finding some alluring traits in some other form of regime, often authoritarian, but not always (there are a few lunatics praising Somalian warlordship as “more freedom from coercive central government” too).When involved in conflict, even liberal democracies fight sometimes, and sometimes it gets nasty. And while I often disagree with some Israeli policies, I...
There's the daily newspaper Le Monde and then there's the monthly Le Monde Diplomatique (whose Norwegian edition is apparently in question), those are two different publications; nuance. Not that I care much for either publications' credibility. As for Nine-Eleven, everybody who's anybody knows it was my nephew Ezekiel who dood it.
Where did I say that? There's also open-competition between governments a.k.a. total chaos as in southern Somalia, completely lacking in coherent political authority.There are differences in stability, median income, prevailing political culture, social fabric, etc. between different liberal demcoracies, yet they all allow change of administration following consultation of citizens, the free political debate, and sufficient civil rights, and you won't find among them...
Observing that liberal democracies are a not as bad a deal as the alternatives is not glorifying them.Not “one system of belief”, certain systems of government.
You see countries at war constantly, some of them are liberal democracies, many are not. And while liberal democracies can be known to regrettably indulge in excesses while at war, they tend to do it less than illiberal despotisms, which also indulge in it without having war around.In “those which are not liberal democracies”? Not liberal demcoracies. As in all those genocides of the twentieth century, all committed by non-liberal non-democracies.In every generation there...