or Connect

Posts by mytdave

Does anyone remember what the wattage was on the first minis that had PPC chips in them? I was not a Mac user then but was under the impression that even a G4 chip was pretty hot and power hungry. I am thinking that if they could reliably cool those then maybe they could cool a little hotter gpu.[/QUOTE] The PPC G4 chip consumed much less power than anything Intel. When Apple moved the mini to Intel, the power consumption (peak) went from 85W to 110W. Of course the Intel...
Yes, the bag of hurt is HDCP, but not just licensing fees. You have technical issues as well. They'd have to roll draconian DRM controls into the Mac, and not just in a player app. It would most likely have to be done at the OS, and hardware level. To comply, you can't allow any app to be able to rip a data stream pre or post processing, and on the hardware side you have to guarantee that someone can't attach the video out connector of the computer to the input of a...
Exactly. I would be willing to wager somewhere between 80-90% of all iPhones sold are still in use. Here's why: 1. For example, my wife and I still have and use our 1st generation iPhones. We rarely, if ever, use apps that spew ads. I hate ads in apps. I will buy apps that don't have ads because I am so tired of the constant in-your-face, everywhere you go, advertising that has polluted the planet. 2. We plan to buy the forthcoming 4th generation iPhones to replace...
Just from the screen shots the new Mac Office looks tons better than the current Windows Office (07), and even the forthcoming Windows Office (10). We just got Win Office 07 pushed on us at work, and it's hideous; almost completely unusable. Thank God I have a Mac and can avoid Office 07. The 'ribbon' UI is not a bad concept, it's just the implementation was terrible. The light blue everywhere is killer on the eyes, and "Clear Text" looks horrible, and that's just the...
OMG, hell has frozen over. Quick, grab your ice skates! I am genuinely impressed by this, but I'm going to temper my enthusiasm with a bit of "I'll believe it when I see it." I hope this isn't one of M$'s "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" attempts.
I think this is an awesome move. It gives me a glimmer of hope that someone at HP might be developing a bit of vision. I'm an IT admin, and in my book, HP is king of the server market, but they have languished in the consumer space... continually lackluster consumer products and failed strategies if you ask me. But the prospects of WebOS on an HP tablet gives me great hope. I had already written off any HP tablets because of their dependence on Windows... Let's face...
They way I read this is that Apple is going to vigorously defend their revolutionary products and hard work in regards to the device(s) that have redefined what a phone, music player, reader, etc. is. They got scr3w3d by M$ ripping off MacOS the last time, and I don't think they're going to let that happen again.
The issue is not about whether Flash or HTML5 can play back a H.264 encoded video most efficiently... It's about all the other crap (some pretty cool stuff) that Flash does so inefficiently. There are times where I observe CPU ramp up in the 90% range just having a web page sitting open that has Flash content doing nothing... no interaction, no video playing, just some of those obnoxious Flash advertising animations in the background. An other issue is Flash...
I know that it's in Apple's best interests to keep illegal, malware, and bug ridden software out of their store, but just because they don't like something, or think it provides little value is way too arbitrary. And who are they to decide what is of value? A particular product may be of great value to someone who needs or wants it, even if Apple doesn't think so. This is not how you build developer or customer interest in your platform. Not smart Apple.
I don't 'hate' flash as much as some other folks seem to, but it truly is a resource hog on any platform - more so on MacOS X, but still a hog anywhere. Flash has been abused by the advertising industry, but so will the next technology. The reason I like the idea of HTML 5 is simply the nature of open standards. Develop anything (video, animation, etc.) you want in whatever program you want to use, save it as a H.264 video file, and deploy. Easy. Works everywhere. ...