or Connect

Posts by mytdave

Wow, what a collection toasty comments here today. Might as well throw my hat into the ring... Thing is, I don't really see vaporware from either side. I've seen concept videos, and rumors, but no official announcements from any company. With that said, based upon all the speculation, I think there are some great ideas for tablet features coming in from all directions. Some of the ideas from the 'courier' concept aren't bad. Do they actually exist? Who...
Sorry for your unfortunate experience. I use MS Office for Mac at the office no less, and it has never mangled any document anyone has sent to me. Even complex forms open fine, and their usability is about as good as Office for Windows (which isn't saying much). If you have Office '08 then you could run into an issue with the missing VB script, which is why I run Office '04 and won't upgrade until MS puts it back in. BTW, if you need to run Win, then Parallels & WinXP...
Whatever dude. Are you trolling? If you need your so called "basic office capability" go buy MS Office for Mac and you're done. No productivity lost. Or you could download OpenOffice for free. It's nearly 100% compatible with MS Office.
Why use iWork? Because it does things MS Office wants to do when/if it grows up... Yes, I use MS Office too, but I have taken to using iWork more and more. I hope to switch completely some day, but only if Apple improves spreadsheet features, adds decent forms features to Pages, and makes import/export to MS Office so good you won't have to reformat your files after opening them in the other program... So what does iWork do that's so special? Well, I don't have time...
That's good news for Apple, and users as well. If sales are up, that should encourage Apple to keep improving it. I don't think this tells the whole story though... I'd be willing to wager that 2010 sales will be even better... There are some folks who are hold-outs, including me... I'm fairly confident that Apple is working on a 2010 version of iWork that will take advantage of many of the new core OS features of Snow Leopard. As soon as they do release a new...
I've been reserving my judgement until I could actually use the Droid. Now that I have, I can honestly share my perceptions. The Droid is ok. If it had come out before the iPhone, we would probably all be praising it as "the best thing since sliced bread." However, the iPhone came before, and is still the Gold standard. The Droid has all the shortcomings of the other Android phones. The interface is interesting and has some neat features, but it's not really...
The "other larger" companies were not making a media player that looks exactly like the iPod shuffle. Luxpro's defense was to use the method of distraction - fighting back by claiming a monopoly situation (which does not exist). Apple has a huge portion of the market, sure, but nowhere near 95%, and there are no situations [to our knowledge] where partners & dealers are being illegally influenced to bundle iPods.
This was about way more than your average geek hacking their own PC to run MacOS X. Psystar was directly attacking Apple's business model, and worse, they were attacking the validity of hardware/software coupling. Had Apple's ability to tie it's software to its hardware been disrupted, it would set a dangerous legal precedent affecting all markets in the US - potentially affecting any product. Imagine a car company being required to allow their automobile operating...
Temporary blip on the 'loyalty' market landscape. Not a criticism, mind you - Moto deserves any kudos they get for the Droid - in the absence of the iPhone, we would all be hailing the Droid as the 'best thing since sliced bread'. We'll see how this all plays out in the long term. As much as I love my iPhone, I really hope that we do not see any one company dominate this segment like we saw in the past with MS. We are all better off to have 3 or 4 major players each...
This would be a factory problem. Does Apple even require a full test/burn in period on each assembled product? Do they do random sampling? I bet not anymore. There has been a steady erosion in quality assurance, and it shows. This is just yet another example.