or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Two very different things?  Care to explain?  Because I've used both, and while they each have a somewhat different approach to the same problem, the end result seems pretty much the same thing.  If you venn-diagrammed the two, the circles would practically be overlapping.  I gave up on Ghostery (combined with Adblock) when I noticed that Safari was substantially slower than when just was installed.  So I experimented with having just one installed, then the other.  I...
 True, but it's more overlap than not. For the average user, I recommend only one as it can get confusing for that user to troubleshoot when a site breaks, which add-on is causing the problem.  However, I get that you don't fit the mold of 'average user', and if you're comfortable running three and don't mind the speed hit, by all means...  So, I haven't used ClickToFlash in a while (preferring no flash), but if you're using the "prefer HTML5" feature, you're really not...
 I would suggest do either Adblock -or- Ghostery -or- DoNotTrackMe, but not all three at once.  Running all three is redundant, and will only slows your browser down. Sometimes noticeably and substantially, depending on the situation. Also, you don't need ClickToFlash if you simply uninstall Flash altogether. :-)  In order for ClickToFlash to do it's trick, it still has to advertise itself has you having Flash installed (not a good thing, if we're trying to eliminate the...
There's a couple reasons, actually.   1. yes, there is a very slight speed increase. (although, admittedly, many people might not even notice it, especially depending on the application in question).  Also, there's a slight momentary performance hit as the kernel does a context-switch from 64-bit to 32-bit mode (and back) as a 32-bit application calls for attention (again, maybe you might not notice, especially on newer hardware. But it's there).  So, yes, it's overall...
 Something like DHCP would not be using middleware like BASH for direct communication with the DHCP server, or even for logging to the console.  BASH is a shell environment, not something that commands like DHCP would be using. Also, any input something like DHCP would accept would be completely sanitized, and malformed data would simply be rejected.  For illustrative example, DHCP would not accept input of any number larger than 255. Or any negative numbers, or even...
 This comment wins!   Yup, that's usually how most exploits work these days.  It's no longer, one simple hack and the hacker now has root access.  It's now usually a complex dance of exploits strung together in a specific order and way.  Read, for example, how hackers have to jailbreak the iPhone (which *still* requires physical access to the device). So, yes, this requires a vulnerable web server (which is certainly isn't that extraordinary) that also has mod_cgi enabled,...
I'm fairly confident that Apple is not the least bit interested in how well Yosemite performs in a Parallels 9 VM...  ;-)
 I bet you could. The difference is (as another poster pointed out) is mainly how much volume (room size) you need to fill.  A under-sized subwoofer will be over-driven on low notes (like that rumbling sound effect that can be frequently heard in action movies), that results in the voice coil literally knocking the limits of its travel range.  Instead of a nice smooth rumble, it sounds more like a farting noise. The movie Gravity is what convinced me to finally upgrade my...
Friends don't let friend buy Bose.   I too once was sucked into their sexy tiny Accustimass 10 series IV home theater system.  After getting tired of watching movies with subtitles on (because they have no mid-range frequency-- like where all the voice dialog is), that's when I started doing a bit of research and found out what a joke they are.   I sold the whole thing on Craigslist and bought a real system, and never looked back.   Do yourself a favor, and avoid...
 If you're asking that, then you should even entertain the idea of running Yosemite.  It's beta.