or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Same policy here, too.  As a matter of fact, I don't allow ANY plugins (I delete everything in the 'Internet Plugins' folder, including Quicktime, Quartz, etc).  Chrome only gets launched on those increasingly rare times that some site requires Flash.
  Was this in reference to Firefox?  Because Firefox has been 64-bit on Mac for quite a while now.  (It's still 32-bit on Windows, but that's a different animal.  Most apps are still 32-bit on Windows).
  Just curious, have you tried rebuilding you inbox, or whatever mailbox you're having trouble with?  ('Mailbox' menu  >  'Rebuild') I've had oddball issues with Mail in the past, where rebuilding solve it.
 sflagel,You've filled this forum with misinformation.   First, I don't know where you get your info– credit card processors (MC, Visa, Amex) do not charge 7%.  That's outrageous.  Amex (the highest) still charges under 3%. Retailers are forbidden from charging different costs if you pay by credit card or cash. Where have you ever seen a sign that says "3% discount if paying by cash"?  We will not see a discount for using CurrentC.  That's the major retailers trying to...
I do. It's computing "best practice" for any platform-- Mac, Windows, or Linux.  And this exploit exemplifies exactly why everyone should, running your day-to-day in a regular user account usually negates attacks like this.      hahaha!  That made me laugh!  (Oh, and good luck with that.)
 Two very different things?  Care to explain?  Because I've used both, and while they each have a somewhat different approach to the same problem, the end result seems pretty much the same thing.  If you venn-diagrammed the two, the circles would practically be overlapping.  I gave up on Ghostery (combined with Adblock) when I noticed that Safari was substantially slower than when just was installed.  So I experimented with having just one installed, then the other.  I...
 True, but it's more overlap than not. For the average user, I recommend only one as it can get confusing for that user to troubleshoot when a site breaks, which add-on is causing the problem.  However, I get that you don't fit the mold of 'average user', and if you're comfortable running three and don't mind the speed hit, by all means...  So, I haven't used ClickToFlash in a while (preferring no flash), but if you're using the "prefer HTML5" feature, you're really not...
 I would suggest do either Adblock -or- Ghostery -or- DoNotTrackMe, but not all three at once.  Running all three is redundant, and will only slows your browser down. Sometimes noticeably and substantially, depending on the situation. Also, you don't need ClickToFlash if you simply uninstall Flash altogether. :-)  In order for ClickToFlash to do it's trick, it still has to advertise itself has you having Flash installed (not a good thing, if we're trying to eliminate the...
There's a couple reasons, actually.   1. yes, there is a very slight speed increase. (although, admittedly, many people might not even notice it, especially depending on the application in question).  Also, there's a slight momentary performance hit as the kernel does a context-switch from 64-bit to 32-bit mode (and back) as a 32-bit application calls for attention (again, maybe you might not notice, especially on newer hardware. But it's there).  So, yes, it's overall...
 Something like DHCP would not be using middleware like BASH for direct communication with the DHCP server, or even for logging to the console.  BASH is a shell environment, not something that commands like DHCP would be using. Also, any input something like DHCP would accept would be completely sanitized, and malformed data would simply be rejected.  For illustrative example, DHCP would not accept input of any number larger than 255. Or any negative numbers, or even...