or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

This comment wins!   Yup, that's usually how most exploits work these days.  It's no longer, one simple hack and the hacker now has root access.  It's now usually a complex dance of exploits strung together in a specific order and way.  Read, for example, how hackers have to jailbreak the iPhone (which *still* requires physical access to the device). So, yes, this requires a vulnerable web server (which is certainly isn't that extraordinary) that also has mod_cgi enabled,...
I'm fairly confident that Apple is not the least bit interested in how well Yosemite performs in a Parallels 9 VM...  ;-)
 I bet you could. The difference is (as another poster pointed out) is mainly how much volume (room size) you need to fill.  A under-sized subwoofer will be over-driven on low notes (like that rumbling sound effect that can be frequently heard in action movies), that results in the voice coil literally knocking the limits of its travel range.  Instead of a nice smooth rumble, it sounds more like a farting noise. The movie Gravity is what convinced me to finally upgrade my...
Friends don't let friend buy Bose.   I too once was sucked into their sexy tiny Accustimass 10 series IV home theater system.  After getting tired of watching movies with subtitles on (because they have no mid-range frequency-- like where all the voice dialog is), that's when I started doing a bit of research and found out what a joke they are.   I sold the whole thing on Craigslist and bought a real system, and never looked back.   Do yourself a favor, and avoid...
 If you're asking that, then you should even entertain the idea of running Yosemite.  It's beta.
 I don't know anyone that has dropped it into a toilet either.  I never said toilet.  And I never said these folks tried to claim a warranty repair. I appreciate that that you and your friends are so perfect and exacting that you never dropped, lost, or broke an iPhone.  Or dropped it in water.  But in the real world, the rest of us clumsy people aren't so lucky. Here's just three quick example's of people I know who lost their iPhone's to water (none claimed warranty,...
 Really?!  If you don't know anyone how hasn't bricked their phone due to water damage, then you don't know very many iPhone owners. I know several people who've damaged their phones due to accidental carelessness or even [in a couple cases] circumstances beyond their control.  It happens.  Accidents happen.  Just this weekend I was caught in a rain storm and couldn't get to a shelter.  I wasn't worried about getting wet, but I will admit I was more than a bit paranoid...
   Fun fact #1–Email is typically only encrypted in transit, where it is considered "more vulnerable" to 3rd party eavesdropping. Fun fact #2–Typically, mail on the server is not encrypted by ANY service.  Or by companies, schools, or otherwise.  That is the norm.  It is generally too computationally expensive to encrypt the entire mail server database, and expect performance from said mail server.  (Witness, for example, reports of even security firms getting hacked, and...
 Nope, I meant the word disingenuous. Had the original poster said something like "but it's already working in IE!", I might've assumed (due to his ignorance) that something else is at play-- that he had Windows 8.1, or perhaps is computer came pre-loaded with Silverlight and he was not aware of it.  But instead, he authoritatively proclaimed that Netflix works in IE 11, implying all platforms.  It was a rather trollish post to begin with, I'm pretty sure he was knowingly...
 Yes, that's exactly right-- encrypted media extensions essentially replace Flash (and Silverlight).  And yes it is simpler.   1. For starters, everything you need will already be baked into the browser. No more having to separately download a plugin.   2. It also means that we no longer have to rely on Flash and Silverlight. Both of which needlessly slow down your browser, cause fans to kick in, and drain the battery faster than necessary.  There's a reason why Flash...