or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Just a small correction:  Apple isn't going to make you upgrade.
Quote:  Would you ... umm ... mind telling me where you bank at?   Uh, no reason, just askin'...  ;-)
 Huh, I thought I had a lot with over 75 in my password manager.  :-)  I don't hang out in as many forums, I guess.  I like how AppleInsider dodges the whole security controversy by offering no-secure login at all.  I hope everyone out there in reader-land isn't reusing passwords to log into AI! I've evaluated quite a few password apps, and eventually settled on mSecure for iPhone. It has all the features I needed. And this way, my passwords are with me wherever I go, when...
As someone who buys a ton of stuff for the office from Amazon (hard drives, computer supplies, various supplies, etc), I conned convinced my company to pay for my Amazon Prime membership.  We buy enough from them that it's really a no-brainer, it more than pays for itself.   That said, if it were just for me (not my company), I don't think I'd do it. I still prefer Netflix over Amazon. And iTunes over Amazon for paid content (yup, have an AppleTV).  And I certainly don't...
Definitely impressive numbers, but what I'd be most curious about is the adoption rate of 10.9 Mavericks. Features aside, it represents some serious "must have" security features under the hood (especially over older releases still running on lots of machines, like Lion earlier). My hope is that because Apple released it as a free update, that it's gotten a noticeable adoption rate as well...
 This. My brother in law is a cop in a suburban town, and he says it's pretty routine to request access to Facebook, Google, etc during an investigation in cases involving suicide, pedophiles, un-solved murders, etc.  I wonder/assume if these count when they're tallying up the number of government requests.
 1.  Ummm... yes, millions (as mstone also pointed out). For about a decade, Flash was the defacto standard, and many vids will never be upgraded.  Even YouTube has tons of videos that will not work in HTML5. 2.  Not really, if you knew how little I have to resort to using Chrome. :-)  Essentially, I use Google Chrome for surfing Google properties, period. 3.  The problem with Click to Flash is that it advertises that Flash is installed.  And I don't want sites counting my...
I've resolved the Flash problem by uninstalling it altogether.  So Flash never consumes resources or slows down my computer.  :-)   If I do need to view a YouTube video (i.e. the older ones that doesn't yet support HTML5), then I switch to Google Chrome just for that page. Once done, I quit Chrome and go back to Safari.
  Yes, your argument mirrors exactly what's happening to the real world. Let's see... Android = open : and we have rampant viruses and malware. iOS = closed : no known malware, beyond a couple proof-of-concept things like from Charlie Miller. Open source wins!  Yup, sounds like you should get an Android, where you can get your root access...   Kidding aside, if you're truly worried about something like the NSA, then you really shouldn't have any smartphone at all. OR a...
  Relying on case-sensitivity of the file system as a security precaution is like worrying if the burglar is going to break into your house by sneaking down the chimney.  Fact is, there are sooo many other open windows to worry about and lock down, that the chimney becomes insignificant.  Not to mention, a real hacker isn't going to be fooled or slowed-down or bothered whether the FS is case-sensitive or not.  And any exploit that breaks because it hits a case-sensitive FS...