or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Yes, that's exactly right-- encrypted media extensions essentially replace Flash (and Silverlight).  And yes it is simpler.   1. For starters, everything you need will already be baked into the browser. No more having to separately download a plugin.   2. It also means that we no longer have to rely on Flash and Silverlight. Both of which needlessly slow down your browser, cause fans to kick in, and drain the battery faster than necessary.  There's a reason why Flash...
   The point being was, saying "Netflix already works in IE 11!" is disingenuous. If that were true, then it implies that Netflix already works with over 60% of the internet population TODAY.  Instead, Netflix is only working for 5~6% of internet users.  Big difference.  It would've been more accurate to say that Netflix is already working in Windows 8.1 today, not IE 11.
 in broad general terms, I agree with you–– a company is certainly entitled to a profit.   However, the way Google monetizes from us is not by a straightforward transaction, but from insidiously and relentlessly collecting data on us, our surfing habits, and so on.  If you’re comfortable with that… well…
 Curious about this, I fired up IE 11 on my Windows 7 VM and was immediately prompted to install Silverlight.  A bit of Googling, and learned that Netflix supports the HTML5 player on IE11 on Windows 8.1 ONLY. So, sure, it works in the Windows OS that has barely 5% of the Windows market... Just say'n.
I have two "smart" TV's (one's a Sony, the other a Samsung), and I will never connect either one.  The reasons are simple:   The user experience on both are terrible. I much prefer the AppleTV, thankyouverymuch. More and more articles are coming out showing how either these smart TV's are getting hacked by hackers, or the TV's themselves are leaking data back to the manufacturer.  For example, LG TV's were caught scanning and uploading file names and network shares...
 Just a small correction:  Apple isn't going to make you upgrade.
Quote:  Would you ... umm ... mind telling me where you bank at?   Uh, no reason, just askin'...  ;-)
 Huh, I thought I had a lot with over 75 in my password manager.  :-)  I don't hang out in as many forums, I guess.  I like how AppleInsider dodges the whole security controversy by offering no-secure login at all.  I hope everyone out there in reader-land isn't reusing passwords to log into AI! I've evaluated quite a few password apps, and eventually settled on mSecure for iPhone. It has all the features I needed. And this way, my passwords are with me wherever I go, when...
As someone who buys a ton of stuff for the office from Amazon (hard drives, computer supplies, various supplies, etc), I conned convinced my company to pay for my Amazon Prime membership.  We buy enough from them that it's really a no-brainer, it more than pays for itself.   That said, if it were just for me (not my company), I don't think I'd do it. I still prefer Netflix over Amazon. And iTunes over Amazon for paid content (yup, have an AppleTV).  And I certainly don't...
Definitely impressive numbers, but what I'd be most curious about is the adoption rate of 10.9 Mavericks. Features aside, it represents some serious "must have" security features under the hood (especially over older releases still running on lots of machines, like Lion earlier). My hope is that because Apple released it as a free update, that it's gotten a noticeable adoption rate as well...