or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Oh, I get that this isn't a sexy upgrade because it doesn't double the year-over-year performance. But the point of this Intel chip is to basically do the exact same thing while using less electricity.  In a laptop, that matters a lot.  In a desktop; well, it still makes the iMac slightly more efficient power-wise (and heat-wise).  May not mean much to you, but spread across the millions of computers that will be built around this chip, it just might.
      heh,  everyone "gets" the concept of the patent system.  If you had a widget, it deserves to be protected under trademarks and patents (and yes, it can be sold). What *you* seem to fail to understand is that there are leaches (Patent Trolls) that are exploiting weaknesses in the system for profit.  They buy or create an overly broad conceptual description of something, patent the idea, then sue in east Texas.  There is no intention of actually making a product based...
    You can replace "electronic books" above with "albums", you are making the same wrong invalid arguments.   We know where albums stand today, in terms of music sales.  It's pretty clear that books are heading in the same direction.  Perhaps a bit slower than albums, but in the same direction just the same.   As far as travel / vacation -- again, ebooks trump actual books. I became convinced of that when I was traveling overseas and wanted to bring 3 books with me.  I...
    I have an iPad, and it's great.  Yet, I also have a b&w (eInk technology, like the b&w Nook) Kindle PaperWhite for reading outside, in direct sunlight, at the pool/beach/vacation, etc.  For reading-only, the PaperWhite is actually a better experience for that.   eInk advantages:  - don't have to worry [quite as much] about damage, given the relative price.  - lighter than an iPad  - can be read in direct sunlight
  And maybe that's part of the problem.   The problem for Amazon was: "We store all the relevant customer information we need.  How can we make it even easier for future purchases?"  And then from there, it's a relatively straightforward programming exercise.  How does become patentable?!   When Amazon announced this new feature, the world wasn't shocked at such a novel concept (it wasn't). Or that they implemented it, or any of that.  The world was shocked that they had...
    Yes, there is such thing as a Patent Troll.  Google it.   Yes, Amazon's "1-click patent" is a trivial obvious thing.  I don't care what they did to implement it, there's nothing there that suggests "wow, having a customer's billing and shipping on file is a novel idea!"
  Do you live underneath a cell tower?  ;-)
Two comments: 1) In my speed tests, I don't think I ever got 14Mbps download (Chicago area). I would guess that throttling peak downloads is probably not necessary for most parts. 2) "IOS consumes more data" -- yes, back in 2007 & 2008 when compared to other phones at the time, that was true. But today, I doubt an iPhone uses any more data than your average modern Android, given that they have essentially the same apps that live-updates as iOS does. That statement...
  Sounds like you need to do a "restore" on your iPhone.    I've had an issue once (long time ago, on a 3GS) where it was acting flaky.  Took it to the Apple Store and they told me to do that first.  As a matter of fact, it's their version of "take two aspirin and call me in the morning".   Apple's instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414
  Of course it does!  For the 5 minutes you're in the bathroom, you're practicing anti-social behavior.  ;-)