or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

In it's current form and function (streaming movies, airplay, etc), the current A5X processor has proven to be perfectly capable of decoding/playing 1080p movies. It's a bit hard to fathom what advantage a "faster" chip would provide. Apple seems to want to use the AppleTV as an 'adapter' (so to speak) for getting content from your iPhone/iPad or iTunes or computer to the TV. Unless Apple breaks this cycle, I don't really see the need for ever putting a faster chip in...
  Man, I couldn't agree more!  No mention what app, what was shared, the testing criteria, etc.    I'm quite comfortable with the privacy settings in iOS.  I have a couple free apps (like Flashlight) that tries to use my GPS information, but my phone very obviously prompted for permission (which I denied).  And other apps have requested access to contacts (like Skype).  It's all trivially managed, which makes me wonder what they heck they were doing.
  I don't know why you think your network situation is so unique.   Yes, every individual school, or company, or organization is going to have their unique specific needs.  But just because you're a school district with remote schools and extremely tight budgets doesn't make your situation a whole lot different than what everyone else has to contend with.  Yes, of course you don't let students or teachers have install rights; but I don't know why you'd assume that...
    Ah yes, I like how you leaped to the conclusion that I must not work in an IT environment.  As a matter of fact, I do – for a corporation that has offices in Chicago and Atlanta, as well as dozens of remote telecommuters. I've been doing IT for a couple decades now (to give a hint at my age), at both the university and corporate level.  I've seen just about everything. And additionally have a RHCE certification, so I'm proficient on three major platforms.   Needless...
    So you're saying that you would rather have X number of machines on your network with known vulnerabilities than have to deal with a user that whines that Flash is broken.  Ooookay.  I'm glad you work at an educational institution and not a bank or company that handles personal client info.  For us, a known vulnerability on our network simply isn't tolerable.
    Yeah, the problem with "user choice" is that most users choose not to update.  I oversee a lot of Mac and Windows users, and I see this happen all. the. time.      Particularly with Java on Windows, where it prompts the user to update seemingly every week.  When I ask, they say they've just learned to ignore it because it pops up all the time.  My solution is to uninstall it.  I tell them, "There, problem solved.  You don't need it."   For the sake of the Internet at...
I'm glad Apple has taken an aggressive approach in disabling vulnerable plugins (first Java, now Flash). Me, I've uninstalled Flash altogether and haven't looked back. If there's flash content I need to view, I'll fire up Chrome, which has Flash embedded. Then when I'm done viewing, I switch back to Safari. I will not have my machine infected due to some crappy plugin! BTW, most newer YouTube videos work in Safari HTML5 just fine.
  How conspiratorial of you.    If that were true, they would've done it with an real proper backdoor, and secured the rest.  If designed as such (which it is not), it would be trivial for law enforcement to get a warrant, read off the IMEI number off the back, and the manufacturer would be able to remotely unlock it.  But they don't.  And Apple continues to fix these bugs as soon as they're discovered.   I think these flaws merely show how hard it is to really lock down...
Frankly, I'm glad there are jailbreakers.  They serve two purposes:   they provide a service that allows those who want to, to jailbreak their phone (a right that is protected by law (at least in the US), and they find critical bugs for Apple to fix, making the OS ultimately safer for the rest of us!
    Generally speaking, I tend to be a bit more sanguine about these exposed hacks.  I would rather hackers discover and publicize these exploits, and force the vendors to fix them.  Rather than discovering holes, not disclose them, and the use the exploits later for nefarious purposes (witness: chinese military hacking into our corporations).   Granted it may not be exactly the same because here you at least have to have the device in hand.  But the principle's the...