or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

I'm pretty sure if there was any Voice recognition, we'd have heard or seen evidence of it in some of the developer builds. It would be pretty difficult to get a feature like that working correctly across all apps, etc.
First, there is an adage that says to "use the right tool for the job". Apple being a consumer company, doesn't have any of the high-end software need to run a site on a scale like this, even despite MacOS running on Unix. This is no different than BMW, who make excellent cars, having to rely on trucks built by competitors to get their cars to dealers. Big whoop. For those who say "Windows cannot scale" don't know what they're talking about. Don't hold onto a common...
So.... you're saying that something like this could've never happened in say... Ireland, or Germany, or Sweden, or Canada? I'm as patriotic as the next person, but let's not be naive. It's narrow-minded to think that the U.S. is some magical breeding ground for smart people, when so many well-known famous hackers come from off shores. Most of the tech companies in this country have to recruit from off shore because there simply isn't the talent (or enough talent) right...
While iPhone Maps is one of my favorite apps, I think it's also sometimes one of the most difficult to use. And while I'm faithful to the iPhone, I do think the ONE huge advantage Android has over the iPhone is their Maps feature. The 3D is cool, and have Navigation built-in is really cool! I realize there's a small, perhaps thriving, 3d-party market for Navigation apps on the iPhone. But this is really something I wish Apple will build in.
When the Unisys company decided to exercise its right to collect royalties on it's patented invention of internally-compressed files (this is commonly known as GIF files, to most of us), they only could target their own unique file format. They did not try to go after every conceivable internally compressed file format (for example, ZIP or JPG). But that's exactly what the patent trolls are trying to do. Go listen to the "Patent Troll" story on...
Ash, The problem with your example is that you use a very specific example: Tungsten works better than previous materials. That's a discovery, and is patentable. If you were to apply what's happening in the software world today to lightbulbs of yesteryear, you'd have a patent that would read something like, "the use of energy to pass through a material for the means of creating light and/or heat." See? That's too broad, and could be used against anything from a...
Ash471, You know, Ash, your argument almost holds water, except the problem is most of these patents are obvious computer techniques that are broad concepts, not some brand new idea. For example, one patent that the trolls have used against Apple, Microsoft, and others is the concept of "downloading software over a medium [let's say, in this case, the Internet] to update a program or operating system." Really?! Yup, that's certainly inventive, no one would've EVER...
Actually, it does sound like you're trying to snag a free copy-- explain to me how downloading via torrent saves bandwidth over the App Store? And, I've just downloaded it, the download completely saturated my broadband to the point where I had trouble surfing on my other computer. So there's no way a torrent would be any faster.
I think iOS getting new notifications falls into the 'duh!' category. it's absolutely ridiculous to say iOS has to catch up to Android**, but it's pretty much universally acknowledged that iOS's notification system is the worst of the bunch. **I've seen nothing on Android that impresses me much. About the only thing I wish iPhone had was a good, free built-in Garmin-like directions app like what's built into Android. But other than that; you talk to most Android...
Um, heck, that's all I'm trying to get people to do; sleep their computers! You wouldn't believe the number of people I run across (typically Windows users, go figure) who literally never even set up a idle-sleep schedule on their computers. Both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law are guilty of this (and both Windows users), and that leaves me scratching my head. But, to each his own...