or Connect

Posts by _Rick_V_

Sorry, that still doesn't pass the smell test. The CDN simply cannot assume that your DNS server is geographically located near you. If your ISP is a large provider like Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, BellSouth, etc., you're really in the same situation as if you use Google or OpenDNS.Instead, CDN's will look up your location based on your IP address (and other magic). Just as a quick example, try looking up your location by googling "IP address location" (hint, try...
As many have already said, this article is misinformed on many levels, and shows that the author doesn't really understand DNS at all. 1. DNS is simply a directory for matching human-readable names (i.e. apple.com, cnn.com, yahoo.com) with an IP address that computers understand. It doesn't have ANYTHING with setting routes (or "paths", as the author states) to/from your computer and the site! 2. the point of third-party DNS services, like Google or OpenDNS, is to...
I'm sorry you had troubles with your upgrade process. Whatever the device (computer, iPhone, etc), we always want (and hope for) a smooth experience. But being mad at Apple for not providing a 'premium' experience is a bit unrealistic. That's like buying a $100,000 Mercedes or BMW, and expecting it not to suffer the same mechanical issues inherent to any car. In the end, it's still a car, and things can go wrong with it. And the iPhone is a computer, that can suffer...
If Apple convince Oracle to pick up the maintenance of Java for the Mac platform, this may not be a bad thing. Java is maintained by oracle for Windows and Linux (not by Microsoft of the linux community), so if they take on one more, we might actually get more timely releases. If Java goes away completely, then that could be a very bad thing. Many, many apps rely on Java, more so than many people realize. In business, webex, GoToMeeting, and similar all rely on Java. ...
iChat to work with Facetime (obvious) 64-bit kernel turned on by default (estimated 5%-10% performance improvement). ASLR fully realized (for security) Usage/adoption/improvements to QuickTime X (i.e. Make it usable in Final Cut, etc) OpenGL 4 OpenCL (actually use it in programs. To my knowledge, no one is really taking advantage of this yet).
I don't know how 'stacks' will work, but I actually liked the way they handled multitasking in their previous version. I will never give up my iPhone, but I would like to see a large improvement to iOS 4's multitasking, which is a bit convoluted in that you can scroll and see every app you ever launched since the phone was booted. That's just silly, its like an alternative view to all the pages of apps in one long horizontal scroll. Show me just the apps that are truly...
Microsoft is attempting to buy their way into the market... again. Just like they did with the XBox.
Having compared the iPhone 4 to the 3GS side-by-side, there is absolutely no question that the 4 is waaay better. My dad has a 3GS and is barely able to make a call from his house. He has to go and stand in the far corner on his house (or go outside) just to be able to make or answer a call without drops. Enter the iPhone 4. Doing the same test with my new iPhone 4, he was able to go and sit in his basement and talk without drops or even garbled voice. It was clear...
Wow, I know this is a rumors site and all, but there's something that seems particularly amusing about the "rumor round-up" for a conference that will address one single issue and that's only an hour or two away.
to quickly check your data consumption, download the free AT&T MyWireless app for your iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-...309172177?mt=8