or Connect

Posts by Mac'em X

I hope that's meant as an odd joke. Because attributing to "Tim Cook and Apple generally these days" a feature introduced by Steve Jobs in 2004 would be... well, about the norm for Apple-related comments these days, actually. : ( 
 Good point. I really like the new iMac and would love to own one, but there are additional pros and cons that aren't in this article. No surprise that Ars Technica would be the place to get the full story. (I can appreciate a simple summary-style overview too, as AI offers here, but I have to say: I didn't have high expectations for this review after seeing the incredibly lazy "Mac faithful" in the first sentence.)
Good stuff – though unless I'm missing something, the masking is only cropping to a rectangle, not the ability to mask to any shape (as on iWork for Mac).
In related news: I know a guy under the bridge who'll let you 'trade up' your Glenfiddich single malt for his Night Train.
One comment: "Those people who incessantly bitched about Apple "neutering" iWork should humbly eat their words..." Well, as big an iWork fan as I am, I'd not necessarily blast all such complaints. If the new iWork suddenly dropped some favorite features, an honest complaint of "Hey, this $&#@ new version dropped some favorite features!" is just being, well, honest (and human : ). There really wasn't any warning from Apple about the losses, either, and that's not a good...
Not necessarily. Like everywhere else, Japan runs primarily on Windows PCs.
 Er, smart shoppers anywhere value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty. Nothing "Japanese people" about it. And here in Tokyo, there are plenty of people with big Samsung or similar phones. There are DoCoMo phones everywhere - which, until recently, were everything but iPhones. Samsung, LG, plenty of Japanese makes. There are all kinds of phones in people's hands on the trains: some pretty nice smartphones, lots of Samsung-y creaky plastic models, and still a fair showing of...
Methinks you're missing the point entirely. No one's saying it's an Excel bug. No one's saying Excel can't ad numbers.  The claim is that it's sloppy advertising work. It may have been created by an ad agency, but it got Microsoft's stamp of approval. Yeah, the error is trivial and silly, but as yet another little indication of Microsoft's sloppiness, it should be mocked far and wide.
 Simply put: No. Apple IS an American company. (Formally, in any case. Operationally, Apple is of course a global company, a multinational composed of people all over the world.) Apple's fanatical attention to amazing support originate in Apple's headquarters, with strong shaping by Steve Jobs. These points of origin are, by definition, not "Japanese." (Needless to say, fanatical attention to detail and amazing support can be found in companies and people outside of Apple...
  You're describing your impressions. The article is describing the result of large-scale testing. The article wins.     Macs are for engineering.