or Connect

Posts by Mac'em X

Is it any surprise that, when data finally becomes available, it shows the iPhone doing just fine in Japan? Not at all. If there's one thing that all of the "iPhone is flopping in Japan!" claims had in common, it's that NONE of them offered any evidence whatsoever. Remember that in the most infamous case of all, the "Japan hates the iPhone" article, WIRED actually had to amend the article and offer an awkward half-apology... That said, Success makes a good point: The...
What decade are you living in?? As of over a year ago, Apple (with iPhone biz factored in) had over half Microsoft's profits, over three-fourths Microsoft's revenue, and more cash than Microsoft. Since then Apple's kept growing like crazy, setting new records almost every quarter (profit up 47% in latest). Microsoft's quarters tend to be like its latest: bad (net income down 17%). I don't know what the current comparisons are for profit, revenue, cash, and market cap...
Well, it doesn't look exactly like the leaked Microsoft store concept sketch I saw, but it's hard to tell with the crowd inside. It'll be fascinating to see whether the crowds stay in the months ahead, and whether the "open right next door to Apple stores" results in some fun head-butting between the companies.
Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but is there a date given for the MS retail store opening? Any known specifics of appearance, features, etc., besides vague rumors of Apple-like design and a "Guru Bar"? I saw this concept sketch online http://www.microsplot.com/blog/2009/...concept_sketch but somehow I suspect it's not real. Just curious as to what form these stores will take. Though to be honest, I'm more curious about the "under renewal" Apple...
Someone said: "Further, the Zune HD will be more customizable than any iPod - making it have the ability to reflect the owner, than just be another player with a fruit on the back." Yes, the iPod has a fruit in back of it. The Zune has a fruit in front of it.
"And while the iPhone had struggled at first in Japan..." Is there some proof of this? I sure hope AppleInsider isn't going by that lazy, discredited WIRED article! Here in reality, the immediate reaction to the iPhone in Japan was awesome, with long lines on the release date, sold-out stores, and week-long waits for the next round of buyers...
Amen, JDW! Sounds similar to Tokyo.
Yep, the iPhone helped lead Softbank Mobile to a great quarter. More details here: iPhone keeps Softbank smiling in Japan while NTT DOCOMO, KDDI stumble (SB is in a similar position to Apple itself recently: the only player in its market turning in great results while everyone else is a wreck.) In 2008, the iPhone was also #1 in Japan for customer satisfaction in mobile phones: iPhone, Macs, iPod sweep 2008 customer satisfaction rankings in Japan Folks, don't...
Nothing wrong with the choice of a subscription service, and I wish Apple offered one too. More choice is always better. The Zune ad leaves out something, though (if someone hasn't pointed this out already): Say an iPod owner and Zune owner each go a month without downloading new music. They're busy listening to the thousands of songs they already have (including all those from CD collections and other non-online-store sources). They're also busy with movies and...