or Connect

Posts by der Kopf

How overwhelming...
Hey all, It's been a bad few weeks here in China. The day after I installed 10.4.3 on my iBook G4 (933 MHz), it died, showing symptoms suspiciously similar to what many iBook G3 users have been the victim of. Apple has admitted some kind of design flaw in their cases, but unfortunately, not (yet?) in the case of my and other early G4 iBooks. Though they are very friendly on the phone, I did find out that it would cost me about 9000 RMB (about 1000US$) to fix my plasticy...
I've found an application called iFinance that does just what I want and not much more. Perfect. Thanks for the help anyway.
Well thanks, but I'd like to avoid spending too much time in Excel. I've thought of that though, but I don't want to be re-inventing the wheel. Also, I kind of think my query sounds more like a small database would be in order. I'm sure I could do something with MySQL and PHP and Safari, but that would completely defeat my purpose. Somebody must have done this before, wouldn't you say?
I'd like to get my hands on an app that I could use to track the way I spend my money, for I feel like I don't know where it's going anymore. It doesn't have to be very complicated. It should, basically, allow me to enter all the things I spend money on daily. It would be nice if I could also put each entry into some kind of category (food, drugs ...). And nice too would be the possibility to enter every receipt of salary. And then of course, some minor summary tools...
I live in China, and as far as hardware is concerned, there's an abundance of cheap commodity parts available. However, there's hardly any of the mac-focused brands to be found (LaCie, eg). I was thinking of buying a Powerbook for a while, but shelved those plans after the big Intel announcement. One of the many things I wanted a new machine for was the superdrive though, because my iBook G4 is one of the last to come without such a contraption. Things being the way...
Now all I'm left wanting is the nifty playlists on the go feature on my 2G iPod (I guess that's what you'd call a 10GB with scroll wheel).
Is it possible that they are planning to stop selling Powerbooks altogether? I remember that the Fnac where I used to live (Gent, Belgium) silently removed Apple products from its store at one point. When I asked them what was up, they said they only sold Apple on request now, and they actually referred me to an Apple dealer just around the corner. I might be wrong, but I don't think Fnac is the best yardstick for measuring the plausibility of rumors.
Although... Apple has been known to sneak in new versions of old products on a Wednesday. I guess what they are waiting for is the moment when the inventory of the current offering is low enough so that they can reasonably expect to get rid of them without losing their shirts (as refurbs and/or warranty replacements?) while selling new models full throttle. So if you could all just start buying a few, I'm sure I'd have a new model in my hands a lot faster. Thanks!
Enzo, one source of information about previous releases can be found at Macrumors. iBook911: Apple's not afraid to mention a small bumpkin like this exclusively in one of the low-key squares below. At other times, they might give it a few days' rotation between other important and less important items. Look at apple.com today: they have some kind of system that serves you up a different home page each time you come. Now it's iLife, then it's Mac Mini, then again it's...