or Connect

Posts by dfiler

Interesting. Hopefully that caching is smart enough that it uses check sums or version tracking for cached data. That seems like a no-brainer.   Beyond that, intelligent caching could recognize where you spend most of your time and cache map data for that area. For instance, I only leave the Pittsburgh region for occasional vacations and business trips. It would make sense to cache the entire city if possible. Most important would be the street locations and one-way...
  In the long run, I agree. More major companies offering competing mapping products is a good thing.   Unfortunately, in the short run, iphone users are saddled with inferior maps.
  As much as you are annoyed by his point of view, it is a valid point and it should continually come up when discussing iOS6 maps.   Flyover is mostly a gimmick in the sense that it doesn't help accomplish tasks that the map app is used for 99.9% of the time. On the other hand, street view is useful when doing map type things. It can actually help you get to your destination in a wide variety of ways. To see how obvious that is, note how many people will bring up google...
  Databases are fragile and can only be updated once a month? And apple is going to announce every time they update the database?   Comedy gold.   You're right that the database is massive, but that is not the hurdle here. The hold-up is the fact that every reported error must be reviewed and acted upon by a human. It will take a while for Apple to figure out the optimal company structure and procedures for handling that process. Once Apple has the process ironed out, it...
Yet another comparison of map apps that doesn't compare the actual maps? Has the world gone crazy? Why has the media completely ignored that topic? Are there no journalists that have the ability to compare and analyze the visual design of maps?   It seems that the effectiveness of a map, as an actual map, should be paramount in any map app comparison.
Use of an iPad for POS interaction doesn't preclude access to a cash drawer for cash transactions. Even my local independent coffee shop has that figured out without a problem.
  Your anecdote is noted. Now please also acknowledge all the negative anecdotes. Millions of people are experiencing severe accuracy problems. These are not theoretical problems, but real problems encountered while attempting to use the new app. There are other numerous valid complaints beyond accuracy as well. As for Apple's take on the problem, they have acknowledged it as real.  The CEO of apple has released a public apology for how bad the new map app is.
  That "whining" you're referring to is what's known as "valid criticism". Not only have you failed to understand that criticism, you then insult the people offering valuable feedback. Come on, you've been an AI member for to long to degrade the quality of discussion like that.   Why might people want to know where a particular apartment number is? Because some apartment complexes have hundreds of units that are accessed from different parking lots. When something we use...
This article seems to trivialize the valid complaints about the apple maps app. I'm not sure why, but the article came off as dogmatically dismissive of widespread criticism.   Keep in mind that this sentiment isn't coming from an android or anti-apple user. Rather, I consider myself to be a satisfied iOS and Mac user. I absolutely love most apple products and features of apple products... except the new maps app.   I don't know enough about existing contracts...
  It sounds like the root desire is access to more content. Apps are not the answer. Licensing deals are the answer.   Apps are the absolute worst way of accomplishing access to more content. The last thing consumers want is a million different user interfaces for browsing a list of videos. Have you seen how bad the interfaces are on pretty much every DVR ever made? They're astonishingly bad, even the (relatively) good ones.   And that's the thing, with a directional pad...