or Connect

Posts by dfiler

My original maps tirade thread went completely unnoticed. Perhaps I posted it too early after the iOS 6 release. Anyway, here is my rant from that other thread (which got no replies).          
  ATV apps would hurt the iOS ecosystem. It seems like a good idea at first, but really it isn't. The type of interaction optimal to a large screen and a basic remote control is completely different than handheld multi-touch devices. Developers would try to shoe-horn iOS apps onto the platform and they wouldn't work that well.   Apple is doing this right. The video extender should have very little functionality. Sophisticated interaction is better kept on devices with...
Gizmodo has a nice photo to illustrate some of these problems:   Should You Keep Your Old iPhone on iOS 5 for Google Maps? http://gizmodo.com/5944437/should-you-keep-your-old-iphone-on-ios-5-for-google-maps  
The visual indicator for one way streets is now almost invisible. At first I thought their database was wrong. But no, holding the phone a few inches from my head I was finally able to confirm that light blue arrows do exist to indicate one way streets. However they are light blue in a sea of beige and about the size of a fraction of a single letter of the street name. It is absolutely astounding that this got through Apple's quality control. Did the user tests not...
With a bit more use, i'm beginning to be able to better verbalize one of the problems.   Streets are rendered with so little contrast (gray on beige) that they are barely visible. Instead, street names are rendered with much more contrast (black on beige). This makes it nearly impossible to visually scan the screen and gain a quick understanding of the street grid.   People that are visually and spatially oriented are not well served by the new look of the maps....
Wow. The new map app is horrible, possibly the worst map display I've seen in years.   Streets and street names are rendered in a manner that doesn't lend itself to easy scanning and comprehension. But seriously, the visual style makes it incredibly hard to use. It looks like a random bunch of words on a biege background. There is no visual coherence whatsoever.   On top of that, there is no street view and no public transit. No longer is it possible to see a...
So how much per unit are those custom diamond screen grinding stations... or that micron level component matcher?   iSuppli does a good job at component estimates. Now if only everyone would recognize the difference between and accuracy of component pricing vs total manufacturing costs. Etc...
1:15 eastern time... downloading now.   Estimated time: 9 minutes.
  Yeah, wouldn't it be great if every company just gave you the product of their labor for free every year? How dare they give us only some of the new functionality for free. Absolutely everything should be free.
I wish you luck in convincing her to actively treat the problem. It is commendable that you are putting thought into the well being of others. Everyone should have friends and co-workers like that. :-)