or Connect

Posts by dfiler

What you're missing is a massive user category, those people who use their iDevice while in a car.   Many commuters simply plug in their iPhones while driving, and at no other time. This is enough to keep the device charged. At the same time, they like to listen to music/news/podcasts/etc from their device. While a wireless or usb based audio connections are supported by some cars, this support is not typical. Even when present, the support is incredibly unreliable as...
mp3 players played music just fine before the iPod came along. Phones dialed phone numbers just fine before the iPhone came along.   The current state of set top boxes is beyond pathetic. Seriously. They're stuck with interfaces that haven't really evolved in nearly 20 years.   To name just one improvement, airplay. The browsing/surfing experience is a whole new paradigm. The existing paradigm doesn't need mere improvement, it needs replacement. Barbaric channel surfing...
  The purpose for using the command key is that control-letter combinations already have meaning for terminal interfaces. On windows it is difficult to CCP things in a terminal emulator for precisely this reason. Now that the mac has come full circle and includes a command line interface, it is great that apple was foresighted in not overloading the modifier key combinations. I curse this problem on windows every day. Seriously, it is a massive pain in the ass to not have...
  In the long run, I think Apps are the wrong direction and should be avoided if possible. That is, if working under the assumption that the AppleTV is primarily for getting content onto a TV screen.   Browsing of video libraries isn't something people want split between a billion different methods of access. Custom interaction types are less appealing when dealing with normal living room, bedroom, dorm room, and public TV usage. This is in comparison to a personal device...
  Integration with a display doesn't seem like what will drive the adoption rate. Remember, pretty much everyone already uses a set top box with their tv. Cable, satellite, fios, and dvrs nearly always require a separate box.   Instead, I think it is all about the content. Copyright holders have competing distribution strategies and don't want to license content to companies like apple. The TV and movie industry doesn't want Apple to take over like happened with music....
I own both an ATV2 and and ATV3. From my usage, it seems that the ATV2 already played 1080p video fine. While the ATV2 won't output 1080p over HDMI, it has no trouble playing 1080p video. I play primarily 1080p MKVs with xbmc on the ATV2. In other words, whenever I'm using the ATV2, it is most likely for playing 1080p video. Yes, it plays flawlessly. FF and rew? Not so much.   Thus, the reason for the memory and processing upgrades was likely motivated by more than...
    As a moderator of these forums, that doesn't seem like the most appropriate response. But I'll probably still stop by from time to time so don't get too teary eyed. ;-)   Note that my expression of dissatisfaction was polite. Also note that I have been a member for 10 years and have a masters in HCI. Perhaps it is my obsession with usability and design that make it a big enough deal to seek entertainment and discourse elsewhere.   It's just that there are so many...
I can't find the main feedback thread for the redesign so here are my thought. AI went from being one of the best forum designs to one of the worst. The problems are too numerous to list. I've been a member for many years but I doubt I'll be returning much if at all. The bookmark has been deleted. I have no hatred toward those making the decisions and doing the development work. However the site is now so poorly designed that it is not enjoyable to use. Thanks for the...
The point wasn't that one or the other dock/taskbar was better overall, but rather that the specific trait of magnification while hovering is bad when implemented in a manner that ruins visual scannability. It isn't a terribly good way of making a large number of items readily accessible. This is especially true if they are accessed in a sequential manner, such as they would be on an ATV.
Interesting post! It is good to see people putting thought into this rather than just complaining.One point I disagree on is the following...Dock zooming was cool looking and impressive but also horrible from an interaction design perspective. It was likely only included in OS X because it made people immediately aware of the advanced graphics sub-system. The windows7 taskbar preview methodology is actually superior in terms of keeping items in a fixed position yet still...