or Connect

Posts by dfiler

Vertical list navigation is more suited to some tasks than others.The ATV has relatively few items at the top level of the menu hierarchy. Currently all can be displayed on the screen simultaneously. That includes custom icons that are visually distinct. This would not be possible with a vertical list. There isn't enough room for the icons or even the text unless it is made too small for small TVs.I'm currently waffling on a prediction of if apple will open up the AppleTV...
I find it strange that so many people are harping on "ugly". Isn't it the same look as all other iOS devices? All have a grid of brightly colored icons. The new design lends itself better to subconscious use. Fewer button clicks are needed to reach items and each is visual distinct. After a short period of use, users won't even consciously see the icons. Instead their brain will be on auto-pilot, guided by visual cues that require the least brain power to process. And...
My prediction is that this is a knee-jerk reaction and initially self perpetuating meme that will soon disappear. Almost all of the complaints are that it is ugly. Only a couple have hit upon true usability issues. However I believe that the vast majority of users don't find it ugly and that the new UI is actually more efficient than the old. If sub menus were the same design it would be bad. But for a top-most menu, it actually works quite well. The only thing I...
Back in the Nickel-Cadmium era, full charge cycles were indeed the best way to prolong a battery's long term life expectancy. Modern lithium based batteries are completely different. Note that apple is only explaining how to get an accurate battery percentage. They don't say that this is the highest priority. Historically, apple has recommended leaving laptops constantly plugged in. Although I'm not entirely sure what their reasoning was. It could be in order to maintain a...
Are you new to the internet? But seriously, expunging wrong statements, even if possible, is not entirely desirable. Also of value is the entire record showing exactly who was wrong, what their thought process was, and how they were proven incorrect.
If you read carefully, it says that a complete charge cycle helps with reporting of battery percentage accuracy. The reason for this is that percentage indicators are based upon the declining voltage of batteries as their charge is depleted. That curve changes over the life of the battery as it ages. Time, environmental conditions and charge cycles all change that voltage-to-percentage-charge graph. A complete charge cycle allows the device to recalibrate the battery...
I think what you actually meant is the opposite of what you posted. (You answered "nope" to the guy's question when the correct answer is "yes, it is fine to charge the iPad over night)
Those stories are about older battery technologies. With modern batteries, best practices have changed. It is no longer good to completely drain a battery before recharging it. Instead, long-term life expectancy of these batteries is optimized by keeping them constantly as close to 100% as possible.
It seems unlikely that apple will ever sell mobile devices with slightly different screen sizes. Apple realizes that optimal interfaces are only possible when they are designed specifically for the hardware on which they will run. For example, iPhone apps are usable but sub-optimal when run on an iPad. iPad apps would be completely unusable if they were available on the iPhone. The importance of this should not be underestimated. One of iOS's greatest characteristics is...
... and when those great programmers form an enterprising startup and release a better app, we'll all buy it. Until then, we'll have to continue using the best app available.