or Connect

Posts by dfiler

That's a fine description. To be specific, we were discussing how safari tabs are lost when memory is reclaimed for other purposes. Observation as a user has lead me to believe that this is not done proactively. If that is the case, it isn't possible for apple to be "less aggressive" about when cached tabs are lost. Your experience of not seeing any tabs being cached is surprising. My experience is the opposite. Safari's cache is preserved unless that memory is needed by...
Hardware differences between TV set-top-boxes and handheld touchscreen devices are irrelevant? That distinction is of critical importance when writing software for either platform. The importance simply cannot be overstated.When discounted or not held as paramount, we wound up with phone apps that technically run but are not a good experience on a tablet. The opposite is also true although not a terribly common direction to port software given when the markets developed.In...
How could Apple be less aggressive? Isn't RAM reclaimed only when needed by something else? It seems that this is a factor of resource availability, not an aggressive strategy.
Wow! 4 or 5 times an hour? What sites are you visiting that result in so many crashes? If it isn't specific web sites, you definitely have defective hardware. Guess you'll just have to upgrade.
We shouldn't hold our breaths for a single interface common to both the ATV and iPhones/iPads/iPods. The interaction hardware and screen sizes dictate that the optimal interface will be different between the two categories of devices. You might just have to live with the horror of rectangular buttons. The computer button exists because some people have multiple computers for use with their ATV and don't rely on streaming directly from the iTunes store. I'll reserve...
The appleTV is rather well positioned given the rest of the iOS ecosystem.My guess is that apple is actively choosing to limit their platform in order to keep it monolithic and consistent. That consistency is one of the less recognized advantages of iOS. Apps work great on every device because of consistent screen sizes, hardware capabilities etc. The platform has remained remarkably consistent despite significant hardware upgrades.If apple were to offer dedicated gaming...
Does apple really have much to gain by allowing live video? Their method seems to manage hype better than anyone other method currently in use. Live events also have a huge potential for problems. Millions of people may witness a mistake, glitch, delay or other random problem. But yeah, I too would love to watch these events live again.
Oh the horror. Rectangles are so hideous compared to squares. Has everyone lost their minds? Oh wait, this is the internet. Carry on.
You probably spent more time typing that post than you'll waste in scrolling over the course of an entire year. Seriously, think about how frequently you scroll in every day usage of pretty much every software you've ever used. Now think about how often you'll need to use the main menu of an apple TV. You likely spent more time scrolling this page then you'll spend in months of usage with the apple TV. Also note that a consistent UI is easier to support and is excellent at...
As usual, airplay playback doesn't work with the stream immediately after release. This has been the case for as long as airplay has existed as far as I can remember. It isn't clear whether this is due to high server load or the type of stream that is offered initially after release. By the next day, it typically works as expected.