or Connect

Posts by dfiler

I too see occasional extreme lags. But at other times it seems quicker. My theory is that a lot of apps need to be updated to run smoothly with 3.0. In particular, facebook seems to jerk and hault under 3.0.
It isn't just representative, it is the release version. Apple announced during the WWDC keynote that this build was the GM. The meaning of "GM" is that it is the official release to be distributed to the public.
No surprise here. Nearly every Apple GM release is pirateable before the release date.
Let's not overstate the case though. Self propagating viruses are still possible. It's just that one hasn't been written yet and that writing one is not easy. Exploits have existed that could have provided a way for a non-trojan virus to gain root access.It's the severity and likelyhood of that danger that is in dispute.
This is addressing the original poster. He asked about the merit of various AV programs. Basically, which one is worth running? My advice has been that they are all of little utility and that time is better spent on an improved backup strategy. It was also important to rebut a few posts which seemed to mischaracterize the threat posed to OS X users. Here's what I'm curious of: Peter, are you running a backup utility such as TimeMachine? And is an archive periodically being...
It would be ostrich-like if we were ignoring actual evidence of malware causing problems. As of right now though, that danger hasn't materialized. When it finally does materialize, it is exceedingly unlikely to affect users prior to them having the chance to reevaluate and start using an AV product. I'd characterize this position as putting the danger in perspective relative to other dangers to our computers. It isn't dogmatic blindess, nor is it saying Macs are immune....
What are you trying to accomplish with this post? It comes across as motivated simply by the desire to insult Mac users.First you offer a definition of worms and viruses as if it will help people understand the situation. But in fact you're just confusing anyone who isn't already informed. By reading your definition, OS X users are less likely to know the nature of the threat. The reason why we say there have been no true viruses for OS X is because there is no other way...
The vast majority of people lauding the safety of using OS X, are doing so by pointing out that there have yet to be any viruses for OS X. There will always be malware at least in the form of trojans. About this there doesn't seem to be any debate.It seems that pointing this out enrages some people though. These are the same people that are obsessed with platform wars in a Ford vs Chevy kind of way. They feel the need to argue that there is still danger even though that...
The sequence of steps used to switch between tasks on the iPhone is fairly good. At least when switching between apps on the same page of apps. But if those apps are on different screens, it is necessary to swipe and do more visual scans of the icons and names. For instance, clicking on a web-link from the facebook app takes you directly into safari. However switching back requires a click of the home button, a couple swipes, and an icon click. It would be nice to be able...
Given the input, battery, screen-size, and processing power constraints of the iPhone... I'm mostly interesting in quick task switching at this point. It seems that many "multitasking" discussions revolve around this topic. While multitasking is valuable and worthy of discussion, some of the people lamenting it's absence are actually lamenting the slow speed of task switching. The distinction is fairly minor but quite important IMHO.