or Connect

Posts by kent909

I can tell you that I only have 8-10 channels I watch. So again 15 that I don't watch or care about, but get to pay for. Four of those that I do watch are the broadcast networks and I can get the shows I watch there on Hulu Plus, if I wasn't so lazy. Somehow watching on a DVR seems easier than Hulu. Ah first world problems.
If you break the package model are there are some channels that virtually no one would be willing to pay for? So maybe 300 of the 500 channels available just go away due to lack of interest.
I think you are saying packages is the way to do it and I am saying it is not the way to do it.
No wonder TV hasn't changed much in the last 40 years. You make my point but yet we disagree.
  Packages is what we have now. It is highly unlikely that someone can construct a "package" that would actually meet the desires of the majority of customers. And what is the point from the providers needs? Packaging gives the illusion of getting value for your money. So a "Basic TV" package costs, let's say $39 and it gets you 50 channels. A slick salesman will present that as less than a $1 per channel. The critical thinking person who realizes that they only will watch...
So here is the problem. Everyone will have a little different idea of what channels they want. This is why a package deal just does not make sense. I always envisioned content providers providing an app and setting there own pricing model. Some may do subscription and some may do pay per view. I think it would be perfect to offer shows for $1.99 at release and $1.00 after one week. Based on that I would have a TV bill that works for me. The HBO Now subscription makes me...
I have to respectfully disagree. We can do things anyway we want. I give Bit Torrent as the proof of that. It is only consumers willingness to accept what we are given, rather than demand via our wallets what we want. I promise you they will sell us what ever we want, but first they will try to sell us what they want. It really is our choice. It is not "perfect all of a sudden". Television has been around for 60+ years, cable TV I think at least 40. The Internet is now 20...
One step forward and two steps back. We have good news and bad news. The good news is HBO Now. The bad news is Apple is going to sell us the same old concept of packaging channels and charging you for something you will never watch. Last Monday was a good day, this Monday was just the world is the same unimaginative place as always. Maybe I will cut the cord and just stop watching television all together.
I wonder if this will be announced at Monday's event.
Boring