or Connect

Posts by kneelbeforezod

Think what you like. There's plenty of money to be made in war. More importantly, there's power to be accumulated. Having lots of money is nice, but when you reach a certain level of wealth more money is essentially meaningless. Being able to have millions of people do what you tell them is a much more exclusive club.
I've worked in both Europe and America and I definitely spend more hours per week in work in the US than I did in Europe. Granted, I live in NYC which is a pretty hard-working city...but I previously lived in London and Brussels, both of which probably demand a higher than average work week by European standards. The one thing I do find is that Americans spend a lot more time socializing in work with colleagues...which suggests the possibility that the number of hours...
I've believed this to be the case pretty much since the war started. I don't think it's just about keeping the folks back home happy though. Perhaps more important to the decision makers in the Bush administration is ensuring that the US remains the preeminent military power in the world...which means having ready access to fuel for those tanks, planes and rockets.
There was an interesting documentary about the Log Cabin Republicans on Trio (I think) in the run-up to the last presidential election. I believe it examined the group's decision not to endorse Bush, and from what I remember, there was a huge sense of betrayl over the notion of a Federal marriage amendment (the notable exception being a creepy guy from Florida reciting the "marry an animal" bit). Most of the people interviewed seemed to be Republicans because they loved...
There's a degree to which this is understandable, the guy needed to take a piss and just wanted to check and see if protocol would allow it...but you'd think that this was the kind of thing that the President of the United States might be expected to know and that at the very least it'd be a decision he'd be able to make for himself.
It's not that surprising that there is a standing shoot to kill policy in the IDF. What would be surprising would be if the people responsible for this policy were to ever be brought to justice (or even admit their responsibility). Security forces in Northern Ireland got away with operating under a shoot to kill policy for years, one which was adopted not only by the army but also the RUC (former Northern Irish police force). The only person who had their career...
That is not true at all. AIDS was initially (in the late 1970s / early 1980s) considered to be something that only impacted the gay community. It wasn't until the medical community discovered that anyone could become HIV positive that the term for the illness was changed from GRIDS (Gay-Related Immunodeficiency Syndrome) to AIDS. The reason that the disease spread as widely as it did in the 1980s is because it was dismissed as being a gay-only issue (and therefore a low...
It is true that jokes about stereotypes can be funny, but they are more frequently offensive, divisive and reductive. Whether or not they are funny depends on the originality and wit in the joke, not on the stereotype itself. Whether or not they are offensive depends on the teller and the context. Whether or not an unfunny joke is mistakenly regarded as funny depends on the intelligence and maturity of the audience. Q.E.D:
In fairness, a lot of Europeans (not just the French) do show a degree of schadenfreude when an American athlete fails...it's not because they hate Americans though, they just like to piss off those Americans who express the kind of jingoistic arrogance displayed by one or two of the posters in this thread. One thing I have noticed is that the kind of American who is likely to find jokes about how dirty and cowardly the French are (or how everyone in England has bad...
Of course, because if we waste time on fripperies like striving for human beings to be afforded equality no matter what their race, color, creed, gender or sexual orientation then the terrorists win.