or Connect

Posts by Faeylyn

It was a regular iPod. He was mistaken.
I said Apple was bad at marketing. They are. If it's significant news when Apple comes out with a new ad that it gets people on these boards all hyped-up, that's a perfect indication that they're marketing is in need of a major overhaul.
Another tedious debate. Sigh.... The article's main theme is about a $500 computer not being a reality. That's simply not true. And, BTW, I did just go to Dell (AGAIN) and was able to get their $499 computer by using all the defaults. Maybe you're going through a different route. In either case, that to has nothing to do with the FACT that you CAN get a PC for $499 from Dell. Now neither you nor I may like what you get for $500, but that's a completely different...
Bad article. Very misleading. There are, indeed $499 PCs. And his reconfigurations are off. Bad thing to do just to try to prove your point. Getting something a little more usable than Dell's $499 PC (adding DVD/CD-RW+optical mouse) brought me to $620. But that's not the point at all. The point is that users might not need or care about firewire or an uber graphics card. Maybe grandma just wants to use AOL to see pics of her grandkids. And to grandma, being on a...
Certain other companies have had complete access to the full NT source. I don't know if this is true anymore, but it was as of NT4. Needless to say these were very trusted partners. More likely on the porting of NT to RISC platforms is that the chip makers paid MS to do it for them - not that the chip makers ported it themselves. And MS was willing to do this and provide maintenance updates as long as the $ kept flowing.
Windows NT 4 was built for all the RISC platforms. I still have it running on Alphas. BTW, most people don't know this, but NT 4 for PPC/Alpha/MIPS contains an emulator. You can run X86 applications seamlessly on the RISC hardwdare under NT 4.
Steve doesn't give a rip about what video cards are capable of doing - other than they be capable of helping to sell Macs. Steve does care about Apple's profits. If you're not able to upgrade your video - either because it's not upgradeable or there's nothing to upgrade to - you're more likely to buy a whole new Mac. Same idea behind the AIO Macs. When you buy a new one, you also have to buy a new monitor. Being able to upgrade doesn't help Apple's bottom line. ...
Another dynamic at work here is that all new Macs come with acceptable graphics cards. Acceptable may be a relative term, I know. And you can argue that models that haven’t been updated in a while leave a lot of room for improvement in their graphics cards. However, new model new Macs have decent cards. Maybe not decent enough to run Maya, maybe not top-of-the-line, but still not bad. On the PC side of the fence, there’s a huge market for small mom & pop shops and...
Intel's fortunes are, to a large extent, tied with Microsoft. Just because they have a chip doesn't mean it's going to appear in desktop PC's overnight. And the software support is sort of critical. Exactly how compatible is it with their old chips? And even if they’re able to ship in quantity today, what are they going to plug it into? It’s going to take a day or two for the whole package to appear. And device drivers aren’t Microsoft’s problem, they’re Intel’s. ...
You don't suppose Intel is above a little FUD, do you? Speaking of the IDF, here's a quote from the link above:That sure doesn't sound like "immediate" to me. We'll see....