or Connect

Posts by erikvdo

"...but the decision was overturned in an Apple in 2011." An Apple turnover. Yum! Apple /= appeal.
Let me first say that I'm a long-time Apple fan and I've used an iPhone since early 2008. Also, I've worked with Android phones, and I've never been impressed by any of them. So if I'm biased in any way, I'm pro iPhone.   That being said, this survey seems to be custom built to show a result in a disingenuous way. Of the participants, 38% of them are switching from an Android or Blackberry phone, to an iPhone. Sure, I'll buy that. However, the missing bit of data is...
  As much as I would love to see this happen, I think the vast majority of computer users have never heard of iWork and/or don't know what it is. Even if Apple did offer it for Windows, and even if they did market it aggressively, iWork would still be very unlikely to make much headway against MS Office. Though it probably would sell well for those of us who use iWork on the Mac and have to also use a Windows PC at the office. iLife, on the other hand, would probably sell...
  How is this going to knock Apple off of anything? Don't forget that Apple is first and foremost a hardware company. They make relatively little money on selling Pages. It is just there to give users a way to create documents, and open and edit Word documents - and that's all just to make the iPad more appealing to a large number of potential customers. MS releasing Office, or even just Word, would be an even bigger selling point for the iPad. The worst case scenario is...
Just pointing out that the Title of this piece indicates it is about the Menubar, when it is clearly about the Toolbar. The article is quite good, as-is, but I was really fascinated by the idea of Apple making significant changes to the venerable Mac OS menubar.
I’d really love to see genuine stats on whether or not Microsoft has made any profit from the stores they’ve already opened - above the cost of building and operating them. Of course, that can be a tricky thing to figure out how to measure, so I’d settle for knowing how much revenue the average store brings in, to compare it to the average for an Apple store. From all the (admittedly anecdotal) information I’ve seen on the MS Stores, they are typically ghost towns when...
No offense, but you have a college degree and you write like that? You may or may not know much about patent law and/or 'the industry', but you definitely have crappy grammar. (At least in this case.)
While I think it would be nice for people in more rural and/or remote communities to be able to purchase whatever product is available to those people in major communities, I don't think that it's reasonable, necessary, or even constitutional for it to be mandated by law. There are lots of other examples of things that people in smaller, rural and/or remote communities can't readily get. Examples: Certain brands of or less common types of food, the latest movies, all...
Actually, the text label for Back/Forward button(s) only says 'Back' even when the toolbar is in 'Button and Text' mode. However, in any mode, alt-clicking on the back button will take you forward. Just an FYI.
This is true for most Mac OS X apps, and for some apps, uninstalling may only a little more complicated, involving removal of one or two .plist files. However, there are actually a fair number of apps that install a number of components into several different directories. Having a built-in function that could look at the receipt file for an installed app and remove all related component files, sounds like a great idea to me. If it went even further and triggered Disk...