or Connect

Posts by jaytr

Why would an unlocked version of the iPhone 4S only work on GSM networks and not on CDMA networks? This seems to be a carrier decision (i.e., Verizon and Sprint disallowing unlocked phones on their networks without a two-year contract), rather than a technical matter. The unlocked version of the iPhone 4S has the same Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE + Dual-band CDMA/EV-DO Rev support (World phone) as the locked (contract) iPhone 4S, doesn't it? Screw the big, overpriced...
Those are interesting applications for a tablet. But despite tablet PCs being available for years, their market share has not increased dramatically. And I don't just chalk that up to Microsoft's lame GUI design. Here's the problem: while the Apple Tablet may not be a simple replacement for an e-reader or a dumbed-down laptop/netbook, what applications would it have that you would part with $800-1100 (i.e., what is compelling enough for you to buy this, in addition to...
DigitalClips, Rot'nApple, and NeilM: I think you make good arguments for the potential of an Apple Tablet. But here are some counter-arguments:1. Too expensive to justify: The iPhone costs about $600, which consumers pay through initial purchase price and mobile phone service plans (2-year contracts). The Apple Tablet would cost more, perhaps $800-1100. Maybe with a data plan from mobile phone service providers, the cost can be similarly spread out over 1 to 2 year...
I agree. While I am an advocate of Apple design, I think that consumers have no widespread experience or acceptance of this class of device. I don't think an Apple tablet would be popular or very profitable for several years--I suspect that it would be akin to the Apple TV or the Newton, which was ahead of its time.
All businesses must focus on profit. Why would Apple give away control of its profits by giving any mobile phone service provider (or government) control of its profit engines/models? That would be incredibly stupid, and yet, many foreign companies have done just that (and have gotten really burned/lost money), in order to gain access to the huge population who are mostly poor. Apple's iPhone is a luxury product in the U.S. (the richest country in the world). China's...
All businesses must focus on profit. Why would Apple give away control of its profits by giving any mobile phone service provider (or government) control of its profit engines/models? That would be incredibly stupid, and yet, many foreign companies have done just that, in order to gain access to the huge population who are mostly poor. Apple's iPhone is a luxury product in the U.S. (the richest country in the world). China's population of about 1.2 billion is mostly...
I've been reading about this customer service plan and have been impressed. Most end users will benefit and sign up for this. A small percentage will use the service heavily, while most (like my mother) will use it 3-5 times at the beginning (like the gym). Either way, Apple store employees will be fully utilized (fixed cost). Apple will profit more from this add-on. Subscribers will be attracted to other store products. And passers-by will see a full store, which...