or Connect

Posts by Smiles77

Wait, so you took a video with the new phone, and wrote an article about the new flash feature, and you couldn't even put in a few sample photos??? What kind of first look is this?
That wasn't an estimate; that was an actual limit stated to me by several friends. At 4GB free, you can install 100 40MB apps, and the majority of apps they (and I) install are around 4-11MB. It really is fine for normal use. I personally have a 64GB phone, but I also have my 29GB music library permanently on it. Without that I could easily fit in a 16GB phone with room to spare.
To point out another likely issue here, Apple uses a ridiculous amount of the world's flash memory supply, and doubling the amount of memory in their base model would result in significantly more constrained supply. They've had issues in the past getting enough memory for phones/tablets and I wouldn't be surprised if this factored significantly into their decision not to increase the amount in the base model.
I just want to point out with all this furor about 16GB minimum devices that Apple has consistently sold 8GB models at the $0 subsidized mark. I have several friends who own them (early 20's) who just make do with what they have. Their music and photos are in the cloud, they know they can only install around 100 apps, and it does everything just fine for them. They're just glad they didn't have to pay any money for it.   Moral of the story: just because a device doesn't...
You do realize that the iPhone 5C is free on contract, and regularly sells for $209 refurbished on eBay, right?
 Federicon Viticci makes a great point over at MacStories.net: "The iPad is on the cusp of becoming a completely new computer. This is not an overstatement. Anyone who uses the iPad enough has known for a long time that the device could be capable of a lot more, and iOS 9 is Apple’s answer. Last night, I was watching John Gruber’s live interview with Phil Schiller on my iPad, and I realized that I wanted to read people’s reactions on Twitter. I instinctively reached out to...
 I too have an iPad Air and haven't really seen the need to upgrade in the near future, but the fact that multi-app multitasking will only support Air 2 and up has led me to reconsider that stance. I may end up getting an Air 3 after all.
 You know, it does remind me a lot of when QuickTime X came out and the look of the video window was so different from any other window on OS X since there was no chrome on it anywhere and you only saw control when hovering over it. It was like a glossy window into another full-screen device running the video and was really different from every other window design. While Apple has reduced in-window controls in some of their more recent apps (see iOS Safari when scrolling...
This looks like a really cool and useful feature (I know I'll use it), but somehow also distinctly un-Apple-like. I'm not saying it's bad or anything – I just feel that this doesn't fall along most of their design thinking. I'm so used to them going with a "purity of design", focused windows, nothing "messily placed just anywhere" sort of thinking (especially on the iPad) that this feels very out of character for Apple. I'm interested in seeing if we see more of these...
What I got after submitting a tip.