or Connect

Posts by yakovlev

Apple A6 uses ARMv7s architecture, not ARMv7.
  I’ve posted from the “Add Your Comment” text field at the bottom of the article page (new design). I’ve also noticed that comments do not appear immediately when posting from there—looks like the page cache is not being refreshed.
@slurpy Perhaps you live an area where Apple’s data is OK. In my area (Moscow) it is so poor that it is unusable. There are no building outlines and numbers at all. Many points of interest are in the wrong places. Some subway stations are missing. It’s a disaster. Don’t get me wrong, I am as excited as you are about Apple re-inventing mapping. And I love the app — real-time text-on-a-path layout, fonts, colors, beautiful placemark icons — lots of tiny details that are...
This is either a fake or an early prototype. There are no mounting screw holes. Compare to this image of an iPad 3 back plate:  
  What I mean by “vertical centering” is that the green distance should be equal to the red distance.    
  C3 doesn’t “meld model outlines” with satellite/aerial photos. That’s not how it works. The whole point of C3 technology is that they don’t use any “model outlines” in the first place.   C3 uses specialized software to reconstruct 3D models from multiple aerial photos captured with a multi-camera setup (much like human stereo vision works). Everything is reconstructed automatically—buildings, bridges, trees—any arbitrary 3D structure of arbitrary complexity. That’s the...
  I disagree. If you have an iPhone with you, you don’t need an iPod nano—an iPhone can do everything just as well. iPod nano is all about stand-alone use. So I don’t think Bluetooth connection is that important.   On the other hand, Wi-Fi is necessary to complete the post-PC strategy. You’ll be buying songs on any device you want (e.g. iPad) with the iPod nano automatically downloading them from your iTunes account. (Without a wireless connection, you’d need a Camera...
I still don’t understand why the back camera is not centered vertically within the glass piece. It just looks un-Apple-like.
An idealized scenario might look like this:   1. A fingerprint sensor of a new type is built into the home button. The button looks exactly as it did before.   2. You don't need the lock screen and swipe-to-unlock gesture anymore. The button registers the press only if pressed by a finger; after that, device immediately displays the home screen. (The innovation being the sensor's ability to detect not just fingerprints of specific people, but human fingerprints...
  And the screen would be able distinguish between different fingers. For example, a drawing app could assign different colors to different fingers. Or gestures could be finger-dependent.   However, I doubt it will happen in the near future. Firstly, it would require a major R&D effort to upgrade tiny fingerprint sensors into fullscreen multi-touch sensors integrated with display tech. Apple of late seems to prefer buying mature technologies and work on integrating them...