or Connect

Posts by Gregg

What I think is not obvious has been stated. Maybe I've not made it clear. I don't think the descriptions of Mac OS and Applications explicitly exclude help with technical issues relating to the titles. That's why this topic is titled "Forums overlap?". I visit other sites, and their forum titles are similar and do include technical aspects. Thus, with that experience, and lacking specificity in the descriptions, I see an overlap. Others who have posted here more regularly...
Yes, thanks. I did visit that site, and found a page of Enclosures, but none were IDE. I've bookmarked that in "case" I decide to do it soon. With over 35GB available, it's not an emergency.
Ok, and since there probably aren't lots of topics devoted to hardware that you can no longer buy new, Old Hardware doesn't have a forum of its own. Such topics have to go somewhere, but when presented with only Future and Current, it didn't occur to me that the "proper" forum would be the Genius Bar (lobby). I could see selecting General Discussion, but I could also understand a conclusion that the topic didn't fit any of the available forums. Anyway, I've beaten this to...
Yes, the one on the left. I wasn't expecting you to post a photo. I was just commenting on the omission of one on that page. So it's a 4GB drive, not 40GB. Faulty memory... (mine).1) The original drive was going bad, and was replaced. "If I do?" I own it, as well as the 120GB replacement. (if memory serves)2) I am using a USB stick, but it's not 120GB. I explained the "why?" above. I just like the idea of using it rather than sending it to a landfill. Will I? I don't...
No, you're not being rude at all. It's simple. There are two categories for Hardware issues. One is Future Hardware. Something that exists is not "future" so it must be current. It still works. What would the point be in having an Old Hardware forum, or in keeping hardware that no longer works? ....unless you have a museum. Yes, I used the term "Old Hardware" in my topic name. By that I meant that it was a drive that I used to use and no longer do. So, I'm guilty of...
Yeah, some of that geek speak looks familiar. A picture is worth a thousand specs though. I looked on the three web sites suggested by MacWorld's article, and none of them had an IDE to USB enclosure. I suppose I could call, as I'm sure not everything they sell makes it to the web page. I'm not an eBay person, so that's not under consideration. It's not a burning desire either, I might just drop the idea. It sounded appealing, but may be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks!
Thanks for explaining. My point remains. I am a reasonably intelligent college graduate. I thought about the "proper" forum for my topic before selecting it. Perhaps if the descriptions of the forums went into more detail, that "fine line" would be a little clearer.
I guess I'm guilty. I just had one moved. I maintain that the problem lies in a very fine line distinguishing the OS and Applications forums from the troubleshooting Genius Bar forum. My thread was about using an old drive. Current Hardware, I thought. No, Genius Bar ("lobby" not Hardware). Seems arbitrary to me. It probably all makes perfect sense to you.
The G3 does not have firewire, and it does not burn CDs. The files were moved when I bought my Mini, at the Apple Store, but not for free. Newer is probably better, but old is good enough for me in this case. (no pun intended)Yeah, I think the original drive is 40GB, but that drive was retired as it was starting to fail. The replacement is 120GB, and is installed. (I think the Mini is 120GB as well. But, I have 36.4GB available. I don't have lots of music, videos, photos...
Keyboard & Mouse preference pane Keyboard Shortcuts Restore Defaults Now you're good.