or Connect

Posts by pik80

I was hoping that they were going to fix the syncing issue that has been happening between both ATVs and iTunes. I heard that ATV will mount if you erase everything but I am afraid if it doesn't work and ATV says erased. I need the pictures on it to show as a slide show for where I work and if I couldn't load everything back on that would be a really big problem.
There is an article that was just posted on Macworld by John Siracusa that says many of the same things that we have been talking about here regarding the Finder and iOS. You might want to check it out: http://www.macworld.com/article/1559...tml?lsrc=top_1 The most interesting line to me by far was the following line: "With Mac applications increasingly using a “library” metaphor, as pioneered by iTunes and iPhoto, the need to interact directly with files by...
It would sure be nice if the OS could do this like with faces but you pay the price by not having anywhere near the accuracy that tags provides. With faces you might get 75%-85% accuracy. This may be ok for some people that are opposed to having to do extra work but others really need 100% accuracy. This is especially true if you are doing this as your job. I think my clients would expect for me to show them all the shots I took from a photo shoot. Not just the ones that...
“Yes, spotlight/faces/itunes are far from perfect,” Spotlight only searches names of files and contents. The names of the files are too narrow of a search. The contents of the files is too broad not usually giving you enough of a way to filter the number of files down to a manageable level to sort through. Tagging is the perfect balance between those two extremes. It’s broader then file names and the ten or so tags is far less then the contents of the document. The 10-15...
I think they would keep folder search around in a seperate application. If people haven't tagged all their files people would still need a way to search for them.
Having things just work automatically sounds nice but it just doesn’t work in most cases. iTunes doesn’t really automatically come up with all the data in a music file, someone still has to enter in that information (even though it’s not you.) When you are dealing with work that you created you still have to enter that information in. iPhoto’s auto places feature seems to work great (I haven’t used it because I don’t have the right kind of camera.) However faces doesn’t...
What is negative about having two filing systems is that you are doing twice the work for no reason that I can see. You are have to spend time tagging files and then placing your tags in a tag hierarchy and then turn around and name and put files in a folder hierarchy. Why am I doing this again? Wasn’t once enough? I just don’t see the need for duplicate functionality. “That's right. It's only 2-3 levels deep though” The project I am working on now is 5 levels deep. If...
“Say you are in the untagged folder and you add a custom tag to a file but forget to give it any other tags.” The same problem could happen with a file name where you don’t give the filename all the words that it needs to have and then perform a search thinking that you had all the words typed in. Either system will fail if the user is being careless. I suppose they could have a folder in the sidebar that would contain any files that are under a certain tag number such...
NEVER give a file just some of the tags that it needs. Either give it all the tags necessary or don’t give it any. It will be saved for you in the untagged folder. You will get used to just checking this folder when a particular file that you are looking for doesn’t show up. Of course it goes without saying that it is best to tend to this folder as soon as possible and not let files pile up for too many days. “I would find it difficult to keep track of which files I...
Well it would force people to change faster. Some people will put off change as long as they possibly can.