or Connect

Posts by pik80

I am glad to hear from someone as passionate about this as I am. I have found that beyond the environment and financial advantages that it is just so much easier to search for files on a computer then on paper and going paperless doesn't make your office so messy. "And THAT commercial was 10 or 15 years ago" BusinessWeek talked about the paperless office and that was 35 years ago! When computers came around we actually ended up using DOUBLE the paper we used before...
After I wrote my last letter to Marvin I really started to think about what I told him. That part about how tag hierarchies work well and folder hierarchies do not. A few things occurred to me. Tagging is auto updating, I don't remake a new folder each time I will often just apply a preexisting tag. With folders you are continually getting buried under this enormous number of collections. With tagging more files do not necessary mean that there has to be more tags....
Lets supposed that I am sending a PDF out to 50 people, there is no way that I can know what is important all those 50 people and even if I did know that there are still tags that would some people would not want in their file. Obviously the solution to this problem is for Marvin to retag the file once I give it too him so that the tags are appropriate for his use. File naming has this same problem what is a logical name to someone else isn’t to me. This isn’t a flaw of...
You really have to try a lot of other tagging programs because they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Leap has some things I really like but it has some pretty funky things about it as well. It isn’t necessary the model program.“Right but a fixed location means you don't have to look at the contents as the file has a unique location.”No I still think you look at the contents in a folder. Otherwise why would there be so many different ways to view the file from...
What you need to have tagged in a file is anything that you think you might want to search for later on. That might only be three tags in some cases. I never said that you had to include every piece of information there is that corresponds to a file. The example I gave where just choices that you could use if you relied on tagging. Marvin might want to be able to search for the star of a movie. I however might not care who stars in the movie I might just want to know who...
No they are not forcing me to print but if I am on the receiving end I have to keep track of the paper. Yuck, I hate paper.
Yeah, just email them the document that you were going to print out.
What if you do a search for another staring or even non staring actor in the movie besides Leonardo? What if you search by the director? What about the movie's genre? What is the movie's rating? (PG, PG-13, etc) The Finder only shows you a very small number of character names so most of that title won't be shown and the title still doesn't include all the information that I wouldn't think would be essential.
On the iPad? Nothing. On the Mac? the Finder.
Thank goodness there is no printing. The idea of a tablet to me is that you don't have to print as you can just carry the device around with you like a piece of paper anyways. The time has come to go paperless.