or Connect

Posts by pik80

You say "nameS" in plural sense as if the save dialog box has several fields for you to enter different names in. Their is only one name for a filename.
Ha! Exactly. macintoshtoffy the fact is I could give a file the most perfectly logical well thought out name that anyone has ever thought up but if I don't remember that exact name then I am doomed bottom line. If I put in 10 or more tags I will be able to at least remember 2 or 3 for sure. Also what if I type in a name that is a synonym to the file that I am looking for? How does a folder help you there? With tags you can apply those synonyms which increases your chances...
I was thinking about this quote that you said earlier and something occurred to me. If you can't remember the name of the different folders then how to you know that a folder is located somewhere in the middle of a group of folders? To me it seems that if you know something is in the middle you know that by where the first letter of the word is located in the alphabet. If you forgot what the title of the project is how would you know where the folder is alphabetically? And...
When you name a file you have only one name to give it and you better memorize that name because that is the only way to find it. With tags you can have as many names as you want to help you find the file, 10, 15, 20 doesn't matter. The more tags the greater your chances of finding it. With only one file the smaller your chances. Using just file naming requires you to remember thousands of files. This is not about being disorganized it's about not having powerful enough...
It can be very difficult to find files in the finder. Using tags and smart folders is very easy. If one solution works a lot better than another the difficult solution should go I believe.
I would use iWeb if it worked more like a social networking site. Without the social networking features I don't think I would have that much use for it. I hope that is it's future.
Can you tell me what the app was? If I know what you are familiar with I can do a better job explaining things. “It would for example be acceptable to give two different files an identical set of tags so how do you tell them apart without opening each one of them?” You would do the same thing you do know which is use cover flow with it’s 500 pixels plus icons to see them. If that still isn’t large enough (which I think about 80% of the time it would be) you also have the...
Marvin from the how you talk it sounds like you haven’t spent any time using tags. There is nothing wrong with having several different files with the same tag, that is how tags work. The more files that have a particular name the bigger the tag name gets in the tag cloud. I would advise that you spend some time with the software I mentioned previously so that you can understand the tagging concept. While it is certainly true that a particular tag can give you hundreds...
This is what I think they should do to incorporate the iPhoto, iTunes into a finder like program. Right now in the finder when you hold down option-command-spacebar and click the plus icon on the search bar you get a drop down menu that lets you switch between viewing different kinds of files (Images, movies, presentations etc.) When you selection an option such as photos it shows you all your photos. I think it would be really handy if when you selected photos the...
If you spend any amount of time tagging files in different programs you begin to realize how much more efficient tagging and smart folders are then folder hierarchies like the finder. Many files just end up getting lost in a folder hierarchy that wouldn't have gotten lost if someone did a good job tagging them.