or Connect

Posts by replicant

What good is it to ship the manufacturing to TSMC only to have them as competitors in a few years? The semiconductor manufacturing process sounds highly automated...perhaps it's something that can be done in North America with low operating costs? Intel has manufacturing plants here and they are not doing so bad after all. Can it be that the cost of product leaks and IP theft (millions in lawyer fees alone) might be higher than the savings gained in lower manufacturing...
In Canada we have The Beer Store. If Apple can prove precedence, they may have case (I think)
Has anyone been to an electronics store lately?? There are hundreds of different products all varying in size of panels, LCD/Plasma/OLED, contrast, luminosity, darkness, sharpness, etc...Ok I give up. With all the responses I got, I am starting to believe that many people would actually care for an Apple TV (yes the panel, not just the set top box) if only for aesthetic reasons. There is no arguing that Apple designs beautiful products but they will not market a car or...
Very interesting, thanks! The problem as stated by Jobs a while ago is that cable providers heavily subsidies their set top box and are unwilling to add other devices. Unless there is a paradigm shift, nothing is going to change he said. I believe that this paradigm shift and the future of television lies in on-demand services such as Netflix. That is where Apple should focus its attention on (instead of thinking about hardware and panels). Last week, Netflix announced...
1) Providing more choices is not necessarily a sound business decision as TV sets are big ticket items. Here you don't provide a variety of choices in the same way as you would for toothpaste. The analogy of the Mac Mini is different because Apple is in the business of building computers! They do not produce panels and they do not have any expertise in display technologies. Just look at how long it took Samsung to overtake Sony. sure apple can rebrand a Samsung but that...
As many have said here, building a TV is a low margin, commoditized business. Have you noticed that "Premium" TV brands are not the best sellers (especially in times of recession). Unless they can offer something radically different, I will agree with most people here and say that Apple will most certainly not rebrand a Samsung panel with an Apple TV chip inside. Would you exchange your current TV for such a product for the cost of a new TV (plus "Apple tax") or simply...
Interesting. I like the idea personally but I doubt that a top tier TV manufacturer like Samsung or Sony will be licensing Apple's Airplay.
True but I also stated that Apple enters a market only when they can bring something new.
Sounds like more fallacies to increase the stock price. Perhaps it is because I am not an analyst but I do not see how an Apple branded TV could see ever the light of day. Seriously, it is getting old. The Apple TV is the right strategy for the living room as it works with existing TV sets and serves the intended purpose: to enable the consumption of iTunes content. They can definitely improve on it (2 thumbs up for adding Netflix support but what about Apple TV Apps?)...
Not really. Nokia, Motorola and other prominent smartphone companies at that time were caught with their pants down. The iPhone was a game changer and they had to retaliate with something. Hence, most of them jumped on the Android bandwagon as little choice was left, the OS was "free" and offered the closest thing to a contender (obviously since Android was a shameless imitation). With Android, Google basically lowered the barrier to entry and opened the gates to any...